Time commitment (average over period of office – more time will be required at key times of year): around 2 hours per week, 1 January - 31 December 2013.
The aim of the role of the Hall Rep President is to be the key contact of the hall reps in your hall of residence. You will organise and run monthly meetings with the rest of the hall reps in your hall along with the termly meeting hall rep and staff meeting. You will also be confirmed as a voting member of Students’ Union Council where you will have a say on how the Union should be run.
As a Hall Rep, not only are you responsible to the students in your halls, but you are also responsible to the Students’ Union and Accommodation Services.
What we expect from you?
• Speak to students in your halls to gather their opinions and provide them with feedback on their suggestions and comments
• Produce a monthly email update to students in your halls
• Promote Students’ Union events to all students in your halls and help out at these when required
• Look after your hall’s notice board and be the lead contact for posting on official social media forums
• Assist in the recruitment of hall reps for 2014 – this will take place in term 1 of the 2013/14 academic year
• Support the Social & Campaigns Rep and Accommodation Rep with their projects.
• To arrange and chair monthly meetings between the team of hall reps in your halls and invite relevant staff where appropriate
• To attend monthly Union Council meetings
Be in contact with and report to:
• Students in your halls
• Students’ Union Welfare and Equality Officer and Representation and Democracy Co-ordinator
• Staff in your halls
How you will be supported by us?
You will receive full training to prepare you for the role as a Hall Rep, and as a Students’ Union Councillor you will also receive Council Training. We will support you with termly catch up meetings and social events and we will always be available to answer any questions and support you with any issues you have. You will also have access to funds to help you achieve your goals in the role. In addition we will provide you with a hall rep hoody so you are visible
to students in your halls.
Specific skills gained
As president you will hopefully gain the following skills that you can put on your CV:
• Chairing meetings
There will also be the opportunity to build relationships with key Union and University staff and officers. We will also provide you with a reference on request and a certificate to show that you have completed your time as a Hall Rep.