What: The Action foundation aims to tackle exclusion by providing opportunity. The main activities of the charity are to support asylum seekers and other migrants through the provision of free accommodation to those who are destitute in Newcastle (Action Housing) and free English language teaching to those who cannot reasonably access this anywhere else in Tyneside (Action Language).
Volunteer Role: Befriender (persons in later life)
Responsible to: Befriender co-ordinator
Role Purpose: To provide companionship through visiting a person in later life in their own home, or a mutually agreed place, on a regular basis.
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours a week; This could be during the day, the evening or at weekends to suit both the volunteer and the befriendee.
• a liking for and empathy with older people
• good communication skills and a sense of humour
• good listening skills and an understanding of Health and Safety issues
• a patient and sensitive personality
• an ability to deal calmly with an emergency
Duties & Responsibilities:
To build up a relationship of trust over a period of time through companionship and shared activities, it is essential that befrienders consciously undertake a commitment to:-
• Be reliable and trustworthy
• Acknowledge positive skills and qualities of the befriendee
• Maintain confidentiality
• Let the Co-ordinator or befriendee know if they are unable to make the visit on the date and time that has been arranged.
• Clarify any issues that may arise with the Co-ordinator
• Participate in 6 monthly reviews
• Attend support and training opportunities
This post would require a CRB check and the taking up of two references.