Sunday 21 October 2018 at 11:30am - 2:30pm
Meet outside the Newcastle University Students Union front entrance
Surf's up dudes!
Learn to ride the waves at Tynemouth Beach in this 2-hour beginner lesson.
No Sport's Centre membership is needed!
All equipment is supplied, surfboards, wetsuits, boots and gloves if needed, all you need to bring is swimwear and a towel. Warm clothing is advised for after the surf lesson.
The lesson consists of
- Introduction, equipment issue, getting into your wetsuit, beach and water safety, description of board and leash,
- Beach demonstration of surfing, warm up and entry into the sea,
- Catching a wave and correct prone position on board (lying down), water confidence building,
- Once everybody has successfully caught waves and felt the surge and rush of a breaking wave we exit the water together.
- Next on the beach we demonstrate paddling your board, correct hand, feet position and the hard bit, standing up,
- The class then have a go at paddling and then jumping up to the standing position on their board, this also tells us if they have a natural or goofy stance. (Surf terms)
- We then all enter the sea and begin to catch waves and start stand up surfing.