We are the university\'s mental health society, and our aim is to work with students, the local community and mental health charities and organisations to inform, raise awareness and discuss mental health issues.
We run fortnightly discussions on different mental health topics and themes, with speakers and panels, as well as fortnightly socials to get to know members and become more of a community.
We have an annual weekend conference run by students for the general public, in addition to other events through the year such as collaborations with other societies, speaker events, and volunteering opportunities regularly in schools as well as other local charities.
We aim to be a group of supportive and friendly people, so those who suffer with mental health problems have a safe place to talk to people with similar issues. We are not trained counsellors, but we can share our personal stories, as well as self-care tips and signpost relevant university welfare and NHS services.
• Fortnightly stress busting socials e.g. movie nights, pampering, and the occasional big event
• Fortnightly discussions on a variety of topics e.g. mental health in the media
• Talks from mental health professionals, researchers and those with personal experience throughout the year.
• Planning, volunteering at and attending our annual conference at NUSU- an educational and fun day where over 200 delegates attend talks and workshops by mental health professionals and media personalities who have experience with mental illness
• Awareness raising during national days/weeks relating to mental health e.g. World Mental Health Day
• Opportunities to go into schools to run mental health workshops with young people
• Working with local mental health charities and organisations
Meeting Days, Times and Venues
Please join our Facebook group for up to date event news!
We tend to have multiple events every week, but will always have at least one, alternating between a discussion/talk/workshop one week and a social the next.
We have a really exciting and varied year planned, so please feel free to join in! We are always looking for ideas for new things we can do, so if you are interested or have an idea please don\'t hesitate to contact us!
President: Martha Clarkson-Cox
You need to be a member to claim expenses against this Society.