Why get involved?
Earn Your Stripes is an accreditation scheme which provides recognition and financial support to Athletic Union clubs who make significant developments to becoming fully inclusive.
Get in touch with Sports Development Coordinator for further information.
- Extra support from the Inclusive Sport programme which can support the club to achieve key developments.
- Financial reward to support developments; amount dependent upon the criteria is met, to assist with inclusivity of club.
- Potential increases of club membership, as students are aware they are catered for and they are entering an environment that supports.
- Opportunity to be involved in NUSU programmes and run their sport through Give it a Go to increase membership and provide a social opportunity.
- Opportunity to be involved in NUSU and/or National campaigns.
- Recognition of inclusive work, in addition to a ‘stripe’ the club can be nominated for awards such as Pride of Newcastle.
The application process is divided into three areas and all applications need a minimum of one criterion from each section. Those clubs achieving the Gold standard must complete the mandatory Gold questions (Criteria 1, 4 and 6).
- Download Application Form
- Download Guidance Notes
1. Outline your offering for those students who have a disability or presenting issue(s).
2. Has the club made any positive changes to events and activities? How has the club considered members needs when making these decisions.
3. What steps will be taken to create a welcoming environment for new members?
4. Involved in a NUSU GoVolunteer project & actively promote opportunities to all members.
5. Shown evidence of increased membership through new campaigns or marketing changes, demonstrating how this targets typically non-engaged groups within your sport/club.
6. Provide regular opportunities for non-competitive members to participate, at a level they choose.
7. Examples of removed barriers or work that has enabled wider access into your club.
8. Involved in a NUSU sport participation programme that allows access for all? i.e. GIAG or Inclusive Newcastle
9. Undertaken any other steps which show an increase of inclusivity.