Applications for the Newcastle International Changemakers of Tomorrow (NICOT) competition are now open. So if you are looking for an adventure to Malaysia this summer and would like to represent the University’s UK campuses this is a brilliant opportunity for you!
Hosted by Newcastle International, a group of student volunteers in Malaysia, the competition will take place at NUMed, Newcastle University’s Malaysian Campus, between 13-16 June 2019 and is open to students from all four Newcastle University campuses.
The competition is split into a number of sections:
- Applications Open: 4 February – 9 March 2019. Register your interest in attending NICOT and state which theme* you would like to focus on.
- Task 1 (to be completed in the UK): 11 March – 5 April 2019. You will be split into teams of four or five, with students from across the campuses in your team. As a team you will be tasked with creating a proposal that aims to solve an issue that you have picked from the theme your team is working on. The teams who submit the top 12 proposals will be invited to Malaysia to attend NICOT.
- Task 2 (to be completed in the UK): 15 April – 11 June 2019. You will now have plenty of time to work as a team and refine your proposal with the feedback received from NICOT organising committee and your facilitator to get it competition ready.
- Deadline for Booking Flights: 31 May 2019. To confirm your place at NICOT, you will need to have your flight booked by the end of May.
- NICOT Competition Dates: 13-16 June 2019. This is when you’ll be in Malaysia for the competition and get to present your team’s proposal to the judges.
For NICOT 2019 there are three themes to choose from:
- Plastic Maniac: the transformation of plastic.
- Voicing Out the Voiceless: shaping a better world without refugee discrimination.
- Absentee in the Classroom: unequal access of education between genders.
And you can find out more about these themes and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals that underpin them on the NICOT website.
What costs are covered
If you make it to NICOT, these are the costs that are covered:
- You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of £600 towards the cost of your flight.
- Accommodation is included for the nights of 13, 14 and 15 June 2019.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided on 14, 15 & 16 June 2019.
- Plus all the competition materials you may need and want.
Further information and how to apply
If you are interested and would like to know more about NICOT, head to the NICOT website, email George Watkins or check out NICOT on Instagram @ncl_international . To apply, you need to complete the following registration form by 9 March 2019: http://tiny.cc/hjxu2y. The application page includes the full terms and conditions for all attendees of NICOT.
If you are British you don’t need a visa to visit Malaysia. You will normally be given permission to stay for 3 months on arrival: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malaysia/entry-requirements
For international or EU students, you may wish to take a look at the Malaysian Embassy website to check your eligibility to travel. They also have contact details if you have any further questions: http://www.jimlondon.net/contactus.html