**We are aware of some initial teething problems with the vending machines. The University is working to resolve these issues and we will keep you updated on their progress. Thank you for your patience and we hope to get the machines working as soon as possible!
We’re sooo pleased to announce that you now have free campus-wide access to sanitary products!
Back in March, NUSU convinced the University to become the first in England to make sanitary products freely available on campus. Since then, we’ve been working with the University to make this happen.
You can now access tampons and pads from Smart-card activated dispensing machines at the following locations:
- Frederick Douglass Centre (Ground floor gender-neutral toilet corridor).
- Business School (Ground floor opposite G12).
- Phillip Robinson Library (Level 1 staircase near Hope and Tees clusters).
- Sports Centre Extension (Ground floor next to the vending machine).
- Armstrong Building (Ground floor toilets near music rooms).
- Walton Robinson Library, Medical School (Near Linn Cluster).
- Students’ Union (Level 2 gender neutral toilet corridor).
- Marjorie Robinson Library (Ground floor near lifts).
This is about tackling period poverty and period shame and helping you when you get caught short on campus. For this reason, we ask that you only take what you need.
This is a result of NUSU Sabbatical Officers, Liberation Officers, Student Council and societies working together to listen to your feedback and improve your experience here at Newcastle. From listening to you, we also know that sustainability is important and that’s why we’ll continue to work with the University to make the provision of free sanitary products more sustainable in the long term.
You can check out what other campus-wide changes NUSU has made by visiting our Big Academic Wins page.
Over and out,
Katie Smyth (President 2019/20)
Sara Elkhawad (Welfare & Equality Officer)