If you are planning to leave your house unattended over the holidays here are some helpful tips to make sure you can start the New Year in the best way.
- Clean the house – Or at the least, wipe down the surfaces, take out the rubbish and hoover. If you want to be extra nice to your Future You, put fresh sheets on your bed.
- Clean out the fridge –There’s nothing nice about coming home to sour milk. Try to make time to defrost the freezer.
- Take out the rubbish – Pest and rodents are attracted to any kind of food source so get rid before leaving. Check your bin collection days here – link to https://community.newcastle.gov.uk/my-neighbourhood/
- Double-check the washing – Wet washing left over a few days is grim but condensation build up in a empty house leading to mould is worse.
- Take precautions for fire - Unplug your TV, microwave, toaster — anything that needs to be juiced. Not only will you help prevent an electrical fire but you might save a bit on your bills.
- Program your thermostat to keep the house at a temperature that will stop a build-up of condensation and mould.
- Put lights on timers - Deter would-be burglars by putting timers on lights in different rooms.
- Check all the windows and doors and ask everyone in the house to check their own before leaving.
If you need more advice and information on housing issues you can book in with the Housing Adviser at the Student Advice Centre in the Students’ Union. – link to https://www.nusu.co.uk/support/sac/#book