Role: Health Awareness Volunteer
We are seeking committed volunteers to support our Cancer Awareness Roadshow team in the North East to help make a difference in local communities.
Why we need you:
As a Health Awareness Volunteer you will encourage visitors to come onboard the Roadshow and help to inform visitors from your local community about ways to reduce their risk of cancer and the importance of early diagnosis. By volunteering with us, you will help us widen our local reach by spreading these vitally important health messages.
About the Roadshow:
The Cancer Awareness Roadshow tackles health inequalities in the heart of local communities – promoting cancer awareness and helping people to take positive action for their health. Since 2006, our Roadshow nurses have been out and about talking to over 500,000 people about cancer prevention, screening and early detection. Our mobile units visit a range of locations, including high streets, supermarkets and workplaces.
We provide a welcoming environment where anyone can come and chat to our friendly nurses about cancer. We particularly focus on reaching groups who are at the greatest risk of cancer, or have the least awareness of key health messages, including:
- More deprived communities
- Ethnic minority groups
- Older people
What will I be doing?
- Encouraging visitors to come onboard and helping to promote the presence of the Roadshow in the local area
- Communicating key health messages to the general public in a friendly, accessible and informative manner
- Using information we have provided to answer basic questions around prevention and early detection, always referring individuals to our nurses for more in-depth discussions
- Informing visitors about local health services when appropriate
- Handing out Cancer Research UK leaflets
- Providing extra support for the Roadshow at large events
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for someone with an interest in raising the awareness of cancer or more general health promotion, who can communicate clearly, using appropriate language to engage different audiences in your community. You should have the confidence to say ‘I don’t know’ and point people to the nurses for appropriate information. You’ll need to work well in a team, develop effective relationships and have a desire to be involved in your local community.
We particularly welcome applicants who can closely relate to the groups we are trying to reach, including more deprived communities and minority ethnic groups. We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and ages to join us onboard the Roadshow.
What will I gain?
- The chance to play an active role in Cancer Research UK’s Cancer Awareness Roadshow
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a valuable contribution to Cancer Research UK and having an impact on the health and wellbeing of people in your local area
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of a supportive team
- The chance to talk and engage directly with the public
- The opportunity to attend cancer awareness training from experienced staff
- The opportunity to not only enhance your skills but to develop new ones such as communication and teamwork
What support will I be given?
All volunteers are given full training and will receive ongoing advice and support from the Roadshow nurses. You will always volunteer with a Roadshow team who will be available to provide support both on and off the Roadshow if needed.
How much time do I need to commit?
This role has the advantage of being reasonably flexible. The Roadshow is live for 3 days per week (usually Tue-Thu) between the beginning of April and early December, and is open from 10am to 4pm. However, days can vary and the units may occasionally attend weekend events. Ideally, we are looking for individuals who are able to commit to around 10 hrs per month.
Where will I be based?
The unit visits locations within a 35 mile radius of central Sunderland although it generally spends most of their time in 10 local authorities in the North East. You will be expected to make your own travel arrangements, with agreed travel expenses being reimbursed.
How do I apply?
Email Phil at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will send you an application form