FoodCycle combines surplus food, volunteers and free kitchen space to create nutritious, three-course meals FREE for the community.
Based in the same location at Felling Food Network, FoodCycle will be delivering a free meal to those in need on Friday of each week starting from March 2020.
FoodCycle has hour main aims:
- To strengthen communities
- To encourage friendships
- To improve nutrition and reduce hunger
- To change attitudes towards food and to reduce food waste
The group and the volunteers will come together to host and cook a meal for members of the public. This will be a three-course vegetarian meal.
There are 5 main volunteer roles available within this group. Including:
- Cooking Project Lead Volunteer – you will take the lead for the meal during the session. You will be asked to organise the other general cooking volunteers and oversee the delivery of the meal. You will be provided with training including level 2 food safety, and first aid etc. You will be required to lead at least one session per month.
- General cooking volunteer – you will assist the cooking project leader volunteer and help to chop, peel, mix, boil, fry and generally prepare and cook the three-course meal. You will receive all relevant training as well as access to optional training. You will be asked to deliver an estimated 6 hours per month. You can be part of one of session or volunteer more than once.
- Hosting Project Lead Volunteer – The Hosting Project Lead volunteer will be responsible for the hosting on the evening, including front of house, the appearance of the room, the serving of the meal and the clearing away afterwards. You will be responsible for the other general host volunteers who will be asked to work with under your supervision. You will need to lead at least one session per month. Training will be provided.
- General Hosting volunteer – This volunteer role will involve helping out at the session, including preparing tables, serving meals, socialising and chatting to people, and clearing away. You can take part in a one-off opportunity or come along to more than one session.
- Food Collector volunteer - The Food Collector volunteer role is for people who collect the items to be used in the meal, from organisations and groups that would like to donate them. This will be within the local area and you will be informed where and when to pick up and drop off items. You will need to have access to your own transport and be insured.
You will be reimbursed for all expenses up to £15 within two weeks and proof of evidence.
Contact govolunteer.union@newcastle for more information