If you are interested in any of these opportunities please email us on email@example.com with the following info:
- Volunteering role you are interested in
- 9 digit student ID number
Events of the North - Event Crew Volunteers
Working with volunteers, Events of the North deliver race events across the North East making sure that the race day is a huge success.
You could be part of their small army of helpers, ensuring that runners and spectators alike have a great experience. You don’t need to have any special skills you just need to be reliable, flexible and have lots of enthusiasm.
There are a whole range of different volunteer roles across the events available including:
• Radio course marshal – manning the route and responsible for a couple of course marshals, in radio contact with event control
• Course marshal – manning the route
• Transition crew – assisting staff to coordinate the transition area, ensuring rules are obeyed and athletes/spectators directed.
• Finish crew – handing out medals, water, goody bags and t-shirts
• Baggage crew – looking after the baggage drop area, making sure it remains secure at all times
• Water station crew – managing a water station on the route (can be done as a group if needed)
• Goody bag packing – usually the Friday before the event (the more people we have the quicker we get these done, usually around 5,000 to pack!)
No formal qualifications are required and a DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) Check is not required for this role. There are some race events planned in 2021 which require volunteers. These include:
• Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th June 2021 – Can volunteer for one or both days Sunderland City Run
• Thursday 15th July 2021- Durham City Run 16:30 registration
• Saturday 21st August 2021 – Try on the Tyne event 7:15 registration.
• Saturday 2nd October & Sunday 3rd October 2021 – Kielder, Half Marathon & Marathon 6:45 registration. Can volunteer for one of both days.
Elgin Community Kitchen- Deliveries & Gardening
The project is supporting individual and families during this difficult time by offering bags of food and ingredients for a low cost.
These items are then delivered to isolated and vulnerable people across Gateshead. The bags are made up at Gateshead Cricket Club and then picked up by volunteers and delivered across Gateshead.
This takes place every Tuesday from 11:15am.
As well as all of the support that can be provided around food, the group are also looking to support some of the local neighbourhood with their gardens. This is for tenants and residents who are vulnerable or unable to do their garden themselves.
Volunteers are needed to help support the group to deliver these types of activities.
The tasks would include things such as:
• Clearing of a gardening
• Sweeping up
• Litter picking
There are both light and heavier activities available through this role, so, most types of volunteers can be catered for. Whether you can help a lot or a little it all makes a difference. Equipment will be provided where possible, however if you would like to use your own it would be good if you could bring it along.
Citizens Advice Gateshead
There are several different volunteer roles including those that can be delivered remotely and at the group. The available volunteer roles include:
• General Adviser Volunteer role
• Administration volunteer role
• Maintenance volunteer – Davison building
• Marketing & Communication volunteers
• Team support volunteer role
Each volunteer role has its own areas tasks and skills and experience. However the majority of the volunteer roles include:
• Talking to clients over the phone, face to face, or online to explore what problems they’ve come for help with.
• Helping clients to understand their options and where to go next.
Skills and experience needed include things such as the following:
• Be friendly and approachable
• Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Have good IT skills
• Be willing to learn about, and follow, the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies.
Gateshead Carers - Virtual Carer Café in your local area
Gateshead Carers Virtual Carer Cafes are where groups of unpaid carers can meet over zoom and WhatsApp to chat, make new friends and receive information about how they can access help and support.
At Gateshead Carers the project aims to ensure that all communities in Gateshead regardless of ethnicity, faith, culture, religion, ability or background, have access to services.
Volunteers can help to do this by facilitating one of the Virtual Carer Cafes reaching out to carers in their local area as part of a network of volunteers providing groups of carers across Gateshead within information in an accessible format and friendly environment.
The group are looking for people who;
• Are familiar with WhatsApp & zoom have good time management
• Have good communication & people skills
• Are enthusiastic and motivated.
The group are also keen to welcome volunteers who are fluent in one of the main community languages in Gateshead: Urdu, Czech/Slovak, Arabic, Tigrinya, Polish, Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin), French. Other languages also considered.