Unexpected personal circumstances disrupting your studies? Assessments can make life stressful enough without unexpected illness or family situations adding to the pressure.

A PEC form may be the way forward to reduce the impact on your studies. Sometimes a quick fix isn’t enough though and you’ll need to speak to your Degree Programme Director or Senior Tutor about other options.

Whatever the case, it’s important to consider what action you need to take now rather than trying to put the pieces back together afterwards. If you’re not sure where to start, our PEC form and Appeals tips might be the place for you!

PEC Forms

A Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC) Form can be used in situations when a short term health or personal problem begins to affect your academic performance.

There is no strict list of what is appropriate, though a general rule of thumb is that it should be unforeseen and out of your control.

We’ve put together a PEC Form checklist to help make all of this a bit easier to digest:

  • Circumstances should be short term, unforeseen and out of your control
  • PEC forms are not to be used for trivial problems such as lateness or faulty printers
  • You can submit a PEC form on the Student Self Service Portal (S3P):
  • You’ll usually need independent evidence to support your form such as a doctor’s note
  • You don’t need to provide a death certificate for a bereavement, but you still need some evidence e.g. order of service

  • If you submit a Student Notification of Absence form (SNAF) on S3P for illness, you can get up to a week extension by submitting a PEC form (only twice a year).

  • A successful PEC form will not change your marks but will often result in an extension or Board of Examiners discretion*.
  • You must submit your PEC form as soon as you become aware of the problem affecting your work – and before your results are decided.
  • You can normally submit a PEC form even after your exam. Check the PEC deadline with your School Office.

*BoE discretion not available to Stage 1 students, 2018-19.

For more information and assistance, book an appointment with the Student Advice Centre or go to:


Academic Appeals

The appeals process differs from PEC as an appeal can only be applied for once you receive your marks and is a much stricter process.

If you feel as though your grade does not take everything into account – either from the Personal Extenuating Circumstances mentioned above, or events that affected you on the day – then an appeal is the way forward. But here are some things to keep in mind:

  • This can only be processed after you receive your marks
  • An Academic Appeal is much less likely to be successful than a PEC form at the time
  • You can only appeal on the grounds of personal extenuating circumstancesprocedural irregularity or bias
  • You must have been unable to inform your School of the personal extenuating circumstances at the time
  • You can’t appeal just because you think the mark is harsh or you’re not happy with the outcome
  • You can’t appeal because of problems with supervision. This would be a complaint and must be dealt with at the time
  • You have 14 days from the date of the decision to email an Academic Query to your School’s appeal nominee
  • If you are dissatisfied with the response, you will then have 21 days from this date to complete a formal Academic Appeal

Still unsure about how it works? Book an appointment with the Student Advice Centre or go to:


Other News

How to get your tenancy deposit back

This factsheet looks at how to get your tenancy deposit back from your landlord or letting agent.

SFW students can now apply online for DSAs

New and returning SFW students can now apply for their Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) online.
The new online process is easier and faster than the paper form. Students can submit their applications at
Please note that the online DSA applications can only be submitted as part of a core application. Students will not be able to submit a standalone DSA application online.
Students who have already submitted paper applications do not need to do anything else.

Return of two-year post study work visa announced

The UK Government has announced the return of post-study work visas.

The new immigration route will allow eligible students at higher education providers, studying any subject, to work for two years after completing their course. From information published so far, we understand that there will be no cap on the number of students who will be able to apply under this route.

Creating Confidence

Making sure that your time studying in the UK is safe and enjoyable

Safety First

Making sure your visit to the UK is safe and enjoyable