Information and Support on Domestic abuse or violence

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

If you, or someone you know, have been affected by domestic abuse or violence, the following organisations may be able to help.

If you are in immediate danger, you should dial 999.


Q. I am experiencing Domestic Violence (DV), who can help during this lockdown?

A. If you are experiencing DV these agencies can help  The Freephone, 24hr National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247, run by Refuge or    Men’s Advice Line – a confidential helpline, email and webchat service for male victims of domestic abuse: 0808 801 0327 or   COVID-19 UPDATE: Galop continues to provide Hate Crime, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence support services to LGBT+ victims/survivors by telephone, email, text and WhatsApp. Please contact us using the online form, email or telephone numbers .   0800 999 5428 08 08 16 89 111

Rape Crisis services –

The Mix, free information and support for under 25s in the UK – 0808 808 4994 ·

Rights of Women advice lines:

Women’s Aid – including Live Chat, email, the Survivors Forum and local services:

Respect Phoneline – a confidential helpline, email and webchat service for domestic abuse perpetrators and those supporting them: 0808 8024040 or

Brightsky is a free-to-download mobile app, providing support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know. The app is also designed to be used by practitioners, and for anyone looking for information about issues around domestic abuse such as online safety, stalking and harassment and sexual consent.

Q . I have contacted some of the agencies above to discuss my DV situation, but I still need help emotionally as this is affecting my studies, who can I ask for help?

A. If you still need help you can contact the wellbeing consultancy team :

Q.  I want to report domestic violence to the students’ union, how do I do that?

A. There is a  NUSU form where students can report abuse incidents –the link below will send the form to the Student Advisers within the Student Advice Centre, who can advise what to do from here.

Q. I am in private halls and experiencing DV, where can I go for help?

A. All of the above links but also some below specific to the private sector:

Q. I need financial help during this time, who can I ask for help?

A. The university has a fund called Student Financial Support Fund and you can apply to that directly, do this as soon as you can to ensure a quick turn around :



No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.

Latest News

**New** Electrical Safety Regulations 2020

Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rental Sector (England) Regulations 2020 came into force on 1st June 2020.  Check out more about this in this article.

Government announcement: EU Students from 21/22

Eligibility rules for EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals, and their family members, who wish to commence courses in England in the Academic Year starting in August 2021 are changing.

collaborative mental health programme to support students through the pandemic

Student Minds to lead development of £3m collaborative mental health programme to support students through pandemic

Returning to a property? Be aware of Legionnaires Disease

Stored and recirculated water is at particular risk so read our helpful guide to ensuring you have a safe return to a property than has been vacated for a good length of time.

Moving Out, Moving On

Moving out during a global pandemic!