Moving out always takes effort but moving out during a global pandemic, well that’s another thing. There is help and support available at every corner so don’t worry. Below is advice and guidance from the NUSU Housing Adviser. If you have any concern or further questions please contact the Student Advice Centre who are still working hard to advise Newcastle Students.
- Look at your contract to see when your contract ends and what you need to.
- If you are just returning to collect belongings, speak to your landlord/agent about how you can access and do this safely. Agree a date and time.
- If you cannot return to your property to remove your items speak to your landlord/provider about alternative arrangements.
- For shared houses consider time slots/separate days to clear out.
- Discuss remotely amongst you how the cleaning will be managed.
- Make sure the last person to leave takes a note of any utility meter readings.
- Clear away everything. Check out the recycling advice from the City Council here.
- Take any general waste to the city council waste and recycling centres that won’t fit in your bins. The three Household Waste Recycling Centres have reopened with measures in place.
- Don’t ‘fly-tip’, you could be fined.
- Dig out your inventory to see how the property compares to how you received it. Make notes and take photo.
- Review your property on Marks out of Tenancy (MOOT).