The first term at University can be unsettling to say the least! The pressure of moving into Uni Halls and expecting to have the ‘time of your life’ is real. Here at NUSU we are working hard to support and represent students living in halls and we now have 15 students representing 9 of the university owned and partnered halls.
As a team our priority is to make the living experience as good as it can be for students living in Uni accommodation. This means different things to different people. The Hall Reps work hard to gain perspective and to represent the students living in their halls and when the feedback is brought to the Hall Rep meetings, we list the agenda items to take to the accommodation services staff.
The November meeting included the following items for discussion.
- Freshers’ Week Move In – What was good and not so good – this helps in the planning for next Fresher’s Week
- Our first Campaign – Love Living In Halls – Advisory messages and how to live your best life in halls messages.
- Recycling in Halls – Food waste, bin provision and tackling the confusion surrounding rubbish.
- SINF (Students in Newcastle Forum) update – Feedback from the forum that meets each term. Forum members include representatives from the City Council, Universities, Newcastle College and Students’ Unions.
- Shoe Box Appeal – how to help people experiencing homelessness this Christmas.
- As a team we are currently supporting the shoe box appeal by collecting donations, promoting the project and planning to get the donations out to the people who need them.
- We are thinking about and collating the messages to use in the Love Living In campaign.
- St Mary’s Reps are working with the hall managers to trial a food waste bin. If this is successful it may be introduced across the estate.
Get in touch with your Hall Rep here.