Get involved by staying up-to-date with everything going on via this page. Want to become a member? You can now purchase a membership.
Newcastle University's Hindu and Sikh Society (HAS) is a community that welcomes students from all backgrounds to enjoy social, religious and cultural events.
Our multi-award winning society offers an active contribution to university life, providing a variety of different social events including:
• Religious Celebrations, cultural events - we hold events to celebrate Indian festivals such as Garba, Vaisakhi and Diwali.
• Movie nights - members can kick back and relax while watching some of their favourite Bollywood movies.
• Dance workshops - members have the opportunity to learn dances such as Garba and Bhangra, working closely with the North East Bhangra Society at Northumbria University.
• Fundraisers for important causes - as a society we raise awareness of current issues occurring across the globe. This year we have raised over £300 for charity.
• Regular Gurdwara and Hindu Temple visits - biweekly trips to the Gurdwara and Temple; see facebook group for more information.
• The North East’s Biggest Holi Festival - we host Newcastle’s biggest celebration of spring with the festival of colours. Last year we sold tickets to over 250 students!
• Social Events – including but not limited to: pub crawls, fusion nights, potlucks, balls and regular food stalls. This includes Langar on Campus, where serve free traditional Indian food from the Sikh Gurdwara to over 300 students.
• This HAS to Happen Campaign - A week full of events to celebrate Hindu, Sikh, Brown and minority cultures and beliefs with discussion events, dance workshops, Langar on campus and much more.
We are also planning events for the next semester which are in line with social distancing guidelines due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR MORE INFORMATION
Meeting Days, Times and Venues
Meeting days, times and venues will be released closer to the time of the event. Usually these details are given on our Facebook group and Instagram. There are no pre-requisites for joining the Hindu and Sikh society.
Society Contact Details
President: Sharlene Jaiswal
It’s time for the North East’s biggest student HOLI event!! Newcastle University’s Hindu and Sikh (HAS) Society presents to you the FESTIVAL OF COLOURS.