Care-givers Hub

NUSU wants every part of the student community to be represented and have their voice heard. That’s why we elect representative every year to represent student parents, guardians and carers. If you encounter an issue, need advice or just want to talk to a friendly face, you can contact them anytime.

Academic Support

Need extra assistance in lectures or exams? There’s plenty of help available! Contact  the Disability Support Team at the Student Wellbeing Service to discuss the ways they can help -- from rest breaks in exams to sign language interpretation.

If you can’t always attend lectures, or need to make notes in your own time, you’ll likely have heard of ReCap, which lets you easily access screen and audio recordings of lectures through your University Blackboard account. Sadly though, not all lectures are currently obliged to be recapped, so it’s worth contacting your lecturer before you start a module to make sure you get the help you need!

Are your dusty old academic texts inaccessible? The university’s Academic Skills Kit (ASK) offers students with print disabilities use of SensusAccess, which can convert PDFs, JPEGs and PowerPoint files into text for screen readers, audio files, and digital braille.

Learn more about ASK and support for disabled students here. 

At the Union

If you encounter an issue related to being a student parent, carer or guardian or whether you need advice/to talk to a friendly face, you can contact NUSU's Student Parents, Carers & Guardians Officer anytime.

Caring Respsonsibilities

Student Wellbeing Support for Student Carers

One of the Student Wellbeing team can work with student carers and their academic school to create a Student Support Plan, which may include adjustments to academic commitments. To discuss support and adjustments please make an appointment with an adviser within the team. 

Other Sources of Support and Information for Student Carers

Carers UK: 

Newcastle Carers:

You can also book an appointment with one of our friendly advisers at the Student Advice Centre, right here in the Students’ Union.

Parents, or Guardians

You will find the answer to many of your questions on the Student Wellbeing pages.  Everything from where to find a baby change to childcare and schooling information is available along with examples of real student experiences.

Finance and Funding

What are you entitled to? 

Financial Support Offered

While studying, your student status might affect your right to disability benefits. If you’re interested in claiming and confused about what you’re entitled to, Disability Rights UK offer up-to-date factsheets and a free disabled students helpline.

Want face-to-face financial advice? You can also book an appointment with one of our friendly advisors at the Student Advice Centre, right here in the Students’ Union.

If you would benefit from help with extra costs for things like travel, specialist equipment such as computers or assistive software, or an extra tutor, you may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance. If you’re interested, you can contact the Student Wellbeing Service, where an advisor from the Disability Support team can help lay out your options and guide you through the process of applying. There are also additional funding you can look into.

For more information on how to apply for DSA and the types of help you might get, head over to the Student Wellbeing Service’s site.