Card image cap


Employment Advice

Here at the Student Advice Centre we offer basic support with an employment issue. Any issues regarding employment law would have to be referred out to another service such as ACAS (The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service)

However, we can advise on employment terms and conditions, issues with salaries and wages, and the implications of breaking an employment contract. Our team also advise on issues regarding unpaid wages, unfair treatment in the work place and holiday allowances. It is important to note that our staff are not legally trained and therefore we cannot provide legal advice. If you require legal advice, please instruct legal representation.

Support with employability and help developing skills and experience is provided by our colleagues in the NUSU Employability team. The University Careers Service can also provide support for those seeking employment. They offer  CV reviews, guidance towards job hunting for full and part-time work, and long term career strategy advice. For more information please visit the University Careers Service.

The COVID-19 outbreak is generating lots of concerns, questions and issues for many people. We're receiving a lot of queries related to the virus outbreak and we hope to be able to help you navigate these as best we can. We have created a Covid-19 FAQs page.

During your course here at Newcastle University, you may need to take on some part time work. You might want to check out Newcastle University's Careers Service, commercial vacancies within the Students' Union, online job sites (such as JobcentrePlus which is government run) or by contacting businesses individually about vacancies.

If however you want to volunteer to enhance your CV, then SCAN (Student Community Action Newcastle), NUSU's Give it a Go, the Student Advice Centre and many more Student Union departments offer volunteering positions which you can apply for during the year.


  • Working during your studies can be problematic.  Whether its tax payments, employment rights or something else you are more than welcome to contact us.
  • If you cannot make it in to see us or contact us, then the following websites may be of use to you:
  • For information on employment issues, including contracts and holiday pay please visit ACAS.
  • For information about benefits, please visit the Department for Work & Pensions.
  • For information about tax credits, child benefits and national insurance contributions please visit  -
  • If you are an international student and want to find out about your work entitlement rights the UKCISA has useful information.
  • Further information for international students working during their studies can be obtained from the Visa and Immigration Service at Newcastle University.

Please note that the Student Advice Centre cannot deal with any visa and immigration issues.


Book an Appointment