Important Privacy Information from the Student Advice Centre
Any new client to the service will be required to provide us with some personal data in order to arrange an appointment and we may require additional data/information in the event of ongoing/future appointments. We also ask for special category personal data however this is optional. We mainly take the information so we can verify your right to access the service, assist you with your case, gather demographic information regarding our service users, understand why you use the service and about the types of cases arising.
You generally have Individual rights under General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2016 although these are not all absolute:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure/right to be forgotten. *
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
* We would highlight that the service’s lawful basis for processing your data is under ‘Legitimate Interest’ and therefore your right to erasure is restricted. Your information and personal data are kept on our client/case management software for 6 years. We keep it on file for this length of time because of your and/or the service rights under the Limitation Act 1980 to pursue/defend any matter through the civil courts.