Spiking Support & FAQs.

NUSU Welfare & Support Centre.

Guidance from Newcastle City Council on what you should do if you think you have been spiked (drink or needle). This includes when to phone the police, when to go to hospital, drug and alcohol advice as well as lots of other useful information.

What can you do as a bystander or if you witness an incident when you are out in Town?

 We are firm in the fact that all responsibility for spiking incidents lies only with the perpetrators. The information below is provided to offer support to students following feedback that we have received and will hopefully help you to manage any thoughts, worries, or concerns. The  incidents have resulted in the student community feeling unsafe and at a loss as to know what to do. You may have heard about incidents or might have been a witness in a bar or club and didn’t know what to do at the moment, hopefully, this will help.  


What should I do in an urgent/emergency situation?

If you are on a night out and you feel yourself or someone else may have been spiked please call 999 and let the staff in the bar or on the door know. In all situations, if it feels like things could get heated or violent very soon or someone is in immediate danger and you need help right away call 999


What do I do if I see any suspicious behavior?

The general rule for this in cases of anything suspicious you might witness would be to alert a member of staff or door security. 


I was in a club when a spiking incident happened, should I follow this up? 

If you witnessed an incident occurring within the Northumbria Police area, you can call 101 or alternatively use the online reporting form. Don’t forget that it’s always 999 in an emergency. We can put you in touch with the campus Police Officer if you would like to chat 1-2-1. You can email NUSU who is in a position to share information with the Police if you would like us to. We wouldn’t do this without your consent.  

You can report this using the University Report and Support form or report to the Students Union here if you prefer. 


I am worried about the person who was spiked but don't have any way of contacting them?

This is a tricky one and one we don’t have a firm answer on. We have been assured that the police are taking steps to protect people out in town. They are working with the local licensees to make sure that best practice is met and that measures are put in place to make sure anyone who has been spiked (or is a target of any crime) has the support and aftercare they need.  We are meeting weekly and keeping open communications with the police and local authority to share information (with consent) if we have it and to share updates with you as soon as we get them.  

Unfortunately, without having consent from those people who are directly involved it would not be possible to find out how they are doing. We know that this might cause worry and anxiety for students and Student Health and Wellbeing Services want you to know that they are here to offer support so please get in touch.  


I was in a club and someone was spiked. I feel like I should have done more to look out for others. 

The only people whois responsible for this incident (and all incidents of crime) are the people who commit it.  A sense of guilt might be one of the feelings you have but this is not anyone else’s fault except the perpetrators.  Take reassurance in that you care and want to help and try not to feel responsible.  


I don’t feel that the door security handled the situation well 

If you feel that a situation was not handled appropriately you can raise a concern with the SIA who is the governing body of all licensed door staff in the city. You can report a crime or concern to the SIA.  


I am too worried to go out. 

Everyone is different and this will have an effect on people in different ways. There are many routes that students can take in getting extra support during tricky times. It may help to speak to a friend or family member that you trust or you may need to speak to someone with more professional experience.  The Officers in the Union are newly graduated and understand how it feels to be a student so they might be a good alternative for a chat as they can signpost you on to routes that might help.  You can contact Student Health and Wellbeing Services or your Sabbatical Officers.


Someone I know has told me they got spiked. What should I tell them? 

If you or someone you know has been affected by spiking, there is support available. You can contact any of your Sabbatical or Liberation Officers or the University Student Health and Wellbeing Services

Spiking incidents can be reported to the Police via 101 (non-emergency) or 999 (emergency) or alternatively use the online reporting form. You will be offered support following a report.  You can choose to report matters anonymously to the police. 

The University Report and Support is a way of letting the University know that this has happened. You can report anonymously or choose to speak to an adviser for support. You can also report on behalf of someone else as long as you have their consent. You can report to the Students Union here if you prefer. 

University Health and Wellbeing Services are here to offer support even if you don’t report it. Please get in touch

Email the SU to be put in touch with one of the Officers or welfare staff members. 

Go Back