Before you move into private accommodation, most landlords or lettings agencies will ask you for a guarantor. This is someone who will pay your rent if you fall into debt whilst studying at Newcastle University.
Newcastle University and YourGuarantor have partnered up to provide a UK guarantor for students who qualify.
YourGuarantor can do this under the below tenancy conditions:
- 1. Covering a maximum of £1500 per person, per month rent, no other debts
- 2. Assured short hold tenancies (a typical type of tenancy in the UK)
To act as your guarantor, YourGuarantor will charge you a percentage of the value of your tenancy or lease:
- 1. 3.5% for overseas or EU students
- 2. 5% for UK students.
3.5% of a £95 per week rent = £173
Before you apply you must:
- 1. Not be in a situation that would affect you paying your rent on time
- 2. Understand that you are responsible for all costs, such as replacement keys or property damage, as well as rent payments
- 3. Know the address of the property you want to live in
- 4. Know the name and email address of the landlord or letting agent
- 5. Know the start and end dates of your tenancy
- 6. Know the total amount of rent for this period
Are You Eligible?
You are in your second or placement year and:
- 1. You have completed your previous academic year of study at Newcastle University before the start of your new housing contract
- 2. You plan to live in private housing for up to a year from the end date of your first or second year if doing a placement
You are in your final year and:
- 1. You have completed year two or a placement in the last academic year
- 2. Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than 31 August of the year you are due to graduate
You are in your first year as an exchange or study abroad student and:
- 1. You are studying at Newcastle University for a non-UK degree that is longer than one year
- 2. Your tenancy is between when you start and finish your UK course
You are a first year postgraduate student and:
- 1. Your tenancy ends before the end date of your course at Newcastle
- 2. Your tenancy starts within a year of completing your previous UK course or once you have enrolled in your postgraduate course
You are a returning postgraduate student and
- Your tenancy ends within 12 months of completing your previous academic year
- your tenancy is for up to 12 months and ends before the end of your course
How to Apply?
You can find out more about, and apply for, the scheme by following this link
To discuss any housing matter please arrange an appointment with the Student Advice Centre. The advisers cannot recommend any particular Guarantor Schemes, but they can name some of the other schemes so that you can research yourself.