Why get involved?
1. Make the Newcastle University experience even better.
This is your chance: What would you do for Newcastle students? In 17/18 alone, the officer team got you all 50% off food on campus during exams, kept placement fees down, increased library break times to 30 minutes, gained free bus travel for those students at St Mary’s Halls, introduced a Guarantor scheme for students and even brought in some puppies for you all to come along and meet.
2. Kick Start Your Career
Start your Career at the top of the tree, not the bottom. Not many graduates can say they are the Director of an organisation with a £4 million turnover within a year of graduating. Our officers often go on to fantastic careers and many organisations actively seek out SU officers for recruitment. You receive a comprehensive training package, including financial training by accountancy firm and mentoring from external professional trustees working in media, law, accountancy and IT.
Ex officers are now employed in many roles including Deputy News Editor at ITV News, Co Producer at Sky Sports and Regional Director for Teach First. Last year’s officers have already begun exciting career paths in the European Parliament, as an Insights Analyst and an Alumni Officer at the University.
3. Lead a unique and successful organisation
NUSU is a large and leading Students Union, winning Educate North’s Students Union of the year this year. We have a £3.5 million turnover, over 120 staff and over 5,500 volunteers. You will learn and lead on all student experience from the world of advice to elections, to event management to gross profit % in Luthers
4. You could experience the most challenging, fun and rewarding year of your life.
Every day and role is different - what starts with some intense teambuilding and training, then leads head on into Freshers’ Week, in between you could be issuing grants, organising a new varsity, appointing the new Chancellor and emerging at the end with the Grad Ball.
5. If you win your election, you will have secured yourself a full time graduate job earning over £19,000 per year and get to stay another year at Newcastle, whilst staying in touch with student life!
6. As an elections candidate, you will receive training on marketing, producing a video, budgeting and gain experience in running your campaign, all valuable experience whether you win or not.
Our Part Time Officers get to be part of all this, but as a voluntary role, alongside their studies. Many Part Time Officers go on in future years to full time officer roles – for more information on why you should run for one of these roles, click here