Representing your Academic Interests: NUSU's Big Academic Wins

 

When it comes to the decisions that affect your learning experience, NUSU is here ensure the student voice is heard, whether that’s at the school, faculty or University level. Over the years and based on your feedback, your student representatives have secured a number of University wide changes and influenced a wide range of big decisions.

 

Securing 24/7 library access

As the result of NUSU lobbying over a number of years, the Robinson Library opened a 24 hour study space in 2012. In 2011, NUSU set the precedent for this level of provision by opening our own 24 hour computer cluster on the top floor of the Union Building.

 

Preventing the introduction of compulsory fingerprint scanning

In 2012, NUSU successfully lobbied the University to reject its plans to introduce biometric attendance monitoring in the form of twice weekly fingerprint scanning. NUSU held a referendum in which an overwhelming majority of students voted against the proposals. The strength of this vote forced the University to consider alternative forms of attendance monitoring.

 

Rejecting the ‘Fit to Sit’ policy for exams

In 2016, NUSU successfully opposed the University’s proposal to introduce a ‘Fit to Sit’ policy, which would have meant that any student who sat an exam would have automatically been deemed ‘fit’ to take it, therefore making them ineligible to submit a Personal Extenuating Circumstances form after the exam if they subsequently felt that their performance was negatively affected by a severe health or personal issue. NUSU published a comprehensive response to the consultation, which the University praised for making “a particularly cogent and detailed case against” ‘Fit to Sit’.

 

Changing the University’s policy on ReCap usage

Through the academic representation system and the efforts of our former Education Officer Chris Duddy, NUSU successfully pressured the University to change its policy regarding ReCap usage from an ‘opt-in’ to an ‘opt-out’ approach, thereby increasing the number of lectures which were automatically recorded and made available to students. Since then, NUSU has welcomed the University’s move to a stricter ‘opt-out where appropriate’ approach, which again increases the number of lectures which should be automatically recorded.

 

Introducing the ‘Course Rep’ app

In 2017, the ‘My School’ section of the University app was updated to include a ‘My Reps’ function, which allows students to easily identify and contact their Course Rep. The app also allows students to participate in opinion polls conducted by their Student-Staff Committee. Former NUSU Education Officer Matthew Price first suggested this functionality in 2015 and NUSU worked in partnership with University IT to develop and trial it.  

 

Campus improvements for disabled students

In 2016, NUSU’s Part-time Officers (PTO) for Students with a Disability founded the Disability and Neurodiversity Society, ensuring dedicated representation of disabled students. NUSU’s PTOs are continuing to work with the University to improve communication between Estates and disabled students regarding accessibility issues and provision, and contributed to a report about the importance of ReCap provision for disabled students, which was presented to the University.

 

This year, we are working to:

 

Allow students the choice to word process their exams

Ronnie Reid, NUSU President for 2017/18, is pledging to ensure that the University commits to the principle of introducing the choice of word processing in exams. If you have a view on this issue, contact Ronnie at president.union@ncl.ac.uk

 

Introduce a week’s break after the January exam period

Rowan South, NUSU Education Officer for 2017/18, is pledging to explore the possibility of introducing a week's break after the January exam period.

This proposal would require the University's Easter holiday to be shortened from 4-5 weeks to 3-4 weeks. This would result in no overall loss of teaching or holiday time.

You can have your say on the issue by taking part in Rowan’s poll, here.

 

Extend opening hours of study spaces across campus

Rowan is also working to identify underutilised study spaces across campus and extend their opening hours. If there is a demand for longer study hours in your school or institute, let Rowan know at education.union@ncl.ac.uk

 

 

2016/17

  • One area of concern for students was the hand-in process being too variable and complicated both across modules and within modules for different assignments. This has been reduced by making a new, easy to follow, AFRD specific hand-in process document, explaining the steps for every method AFRD use for hand-ins.
  • Discrepancies between the amount of individual feedback students are receiving have been in part rectified by the mandatory use of a front sheet feedback form, which is filled in by the marker to signpost areas for improvement in relation to the marking criteria.
  • Planning a new Postgraduate careers conference to take place on an annual basis.

Previous Years

  • Made key resources that are heavily demanded more easily available to students (specifically, statistics and economics text books for Stage 1 are now avaialble as e-books on a shorter loan period).
  • A research away day event was carried out for all new and continuing students. The day proved to be a real success as it gave students a fantastic opportunity to bond, but also to visit Cockle park, one of the AFRD farms and understand some of the research opportunities within the faculty.
  • An automatic lock down system was introduced to tackle space allocation problems.

2016/17

  • A temporary common room for MA Art Museum and Gallery Studies was setup.
  • A working group was established to seek student input on improving online feedback.

2016/17

  • Have achieved a consultation with students to assess whether CH students feel there is a discrepancy between marking criteria across modules and schools, and looked at data to see if this is truly the case. Once this data is analysed it will hopefully be used as a springboard to run a university-wide campaign next year.
  • Have met with the schools of History and Geography to discuss a proposed preference system of module selection to make the pre-registration process fairer and less stressful for all students.

2016/17

  • Second year BA Education students have agreed with their lecturers that every lecture will be ReCapped and available on Blackboard for every student on our course to access, as well as lecture PowerPoints being added to Blackboard before each lecture to assist students with their note-taking.
  • Second year Education students have successfully set up the peer-mentoring scheme for the course, and have assisted the first year students through their first semester at Newcastle University – we hope to continue this scheme throughout the following years.

Previous Years

  • 2nd year BSc formative assignments are to be reconsidered with a possibility to return to the old assessment system where they would contribute to the clinical mark.
  • The print credit system has been explained to all students in a detailed email. Costs of each printer have been highlighted and it has been stated that the costs reflect school budget and amount of time spent on placement by each student group.
  • Successfully implemented a new feedback system that has been developed in consultation with students to alleviate concerns around assessment and feedback.

2016/17:

  • The student-led Equality and Diversity Committee has made a lot of progress and the group is continuing to collect more student surveys in order to understand students’ perception regarding curriculum diversity.
  • PG PC cluster has been refurbished with new computers being equipped, providing a superior learning atmosphere.

Previous Years

  • The exact architecture of the new student common room was decided on in one of the Student-Staff Committee meetings. There were around 10 different floor plans available, and the focus was on asking the students what our thoughts were.
  • The Undergraduate Student-Staff Committee now ran a Coffee Morning every 2 weeks outside the common room. Free hot drinks and biscuits were provided by the School, staff and students mix (more than 50 people each week) and it has been a great platform to launch book exchanges and for SELLL societies to sell tickets for events e.g. Christmas Ball.
  • Student appointed to be the project leader of the school café. It is hoped that this will create more of a community feel in the SELLL building.
  • UG SSC appointed a Course Rep to be project leader for SELLL online academic journal.
  • School Rep asked by Head of School to undertake research about SELLL students’ attitudes to assessment and feedback. School Rep will chair sub-committee where findings are investigated, with the aim of improving assessment and feedback provision.
  • Introduction of designated feedback afternoons, in which students can access their exam scripts and get feedback on them

Term 1

  • Following student feedback, emails are now being sent as reminders for seminars featuring guest-speakers, and Information to this effect has been added to blackboard regarding modules.
  • Students expressed the desire to have staff office hours publicised more clearly, which has now been implemented. Extremely grateful feedback has since been received from the students.
  • Through working with other PGRs in Politics and the Head of Department, PGRs giving lectures as normal TAs, and PGRs giving lectures as module leaders, will now be paid the same rate. This means TAs who aren’t module leaders will still be paid the same rate for the same type of work (at SLTSEC).

Previous Years

  • Worked with Combined Honours School Rep to ensure fair treatment of Combined honours students taking Geography modules. Met with Head of Geography, Head of Combined honours and agreed that fieldwork trip in first year will NOT be attached to a specific module and that Combined Honours students will be asked to attend in order to be able to make relation with 1st year Geography students.
  • Continued interventions on the inadequacy of the HaSS Research Training programme for PGTs have now been fed through to the Internal Subject Reviews, and subsequently will be presented to a forthcoming Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee (FLTSEC) meeting. The Chair of the HaSS FLTSEC is now aware of the issue.
  • The University’s Quality in Learning and Teaching department (QuilT) will now consider whether students should have the right to delete information that has been recorded by the forthcoming e-portfolios system. This had not been considered before, and the officer from QuilT agreed to take this back and discuss it with his colleagues.
  • PGRs provided with access to the university online research repository. Open Access officer will allow students access to pre-prints of articles in the repository if PGRs contact him directly.
  • A PGR Teaching Assistant handbook will be produced following concerns raised by PGR reps.
  • Marking pay rates have been changed to ensure fairness for Teaching Assistants required to mark longer pieces of work and use Grademark software.
  • Staff responded to concerns raised by undergraduate Course Reps regarding the transition between specific first year and second year modules by agreeing to redesign the second year module in time for the 2015-16 academic year

Term 1

  • Following student requests for improved careers events, the school liaised directly with the SSC to devise improved careers events moving forward. These include; an alumni event & a careers workshop for all HCA students in semester two and a compulsory CV check for dissertation students.

Previous Years

  • Discussion with the Union’s Education Executive has resulted in improvements to the system with timetabling and the University’s I.T. department, which should allow for improvements to be made to access to the timetabling system at peak times.
  • Pushed for the creation of a PGT Forum in the Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee in order to facilitate discussion of PGT issues solely.
  • The PG reps have established a hot-desk system in the postgraduate room in the Armstrong building to make more efficient use of study space, as well as storage for student belongings.

Term 2

  • PGR study room will be cleaned up and room will be used as quiet study area

Previous Years

  • The exam board will now provide the Law School with more paper during exams.
  • A University wide audit took place regarding postgraduate teaching opportunities following concerns raised by the Law PGR School Rep in 2014/15, something which will, potentially, have a positive impact on PGRs across the University.
  • Lectures devoted time to providing group feedback on mid-sessional exams, publicising the availability of exam feedback more widely, and undertaking a staff peer review of assessment and feedback by in the department

Term 2

  • Several lecturers have started providing summaries of their lectures as a substitute for PowerPoint/ReCap

Term 1

  • New programme of Careers talks organised on the back of student feedback

Previous Years

  • School Rep thread added to Philosophical Studies blog, providing a platform for School Rep to let students know what they have been doing.

Term 2 (UG)

  • New feedback sheet to standardise feedback across different languages
  • Focus groups to be used to support the SSC in gauging student opinion

Term 2 (PG)

  • Upon PGRs’ request raised in the SSC in Semester 1, a coat rack has been installed in the study room. Also, the School has directed the budget for replacing all computer chairs in the PGR study room to the Faculty for approval.
  • School Research Seminar, the PGR School Rep proposed to have current PGRs more engaged. The Head of School has agreed to take this into consideration when planning for next year’s seminars and invite more stage 2 and/or stage 3 PGRs to contribute research paper. The Head of School also warmly encouraged PGRs to think about presenting paper in next year’s seminars.

Term 1 (UG)

  • Issues around the delivery of a module were resolved through collaboration between the students and staff, facilitate directly through the SSC.
  • PGR student reps have helped form a PGR Teachers Forum in the School, which provides the opportunity for PGRs to raise and address teaching related issues directly with Head of the School and other relevant members of staff. The Forum runs twice a year.

Previous Years

  • A high National Student Survey response rate was achieved following a cheese and wine event for final year students.
  • Following suggestion from reps, staff provided a workshop giving advice and techniques on how to write an effective application for Northern Bridge studentships.
  • A room will be provided for PGRs who teach to meet with students privately rather than in communal areas.

Term 2

  • By working closely with school staff, the Thesis word count of 80,000 words will now exclude footnotes and referencing, where before these were included.

Term 2 (UG)

  • Organised and ran the 3rd Annual NICR Cancer conference for institutes within the FMS
  • Implemented a potential change to student supervision within the NICR
  • Organised ‘Young Researcher Forum’ session timetable to allow research students to speak with external guest speakers of the NICR regarding science and careers – next session to take place 10th April

Term 2 (PGR)

  • NUBS hosted the first NUBS/DUBS (Durham University) event to promote PhD students collaboration. The event included networking and research presentations by both NUBS and DUBS students.
  • Certificate in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice Director increased the number of cohorts per year for International English Language Testing System (IELTS) training>
  • The conference funding policy for PhD students within NUBS was changed to allow for more flexibility for the PhD students to attend conferences to which their papers have been accepted, and will allow for co-funding of conference attendance by NUBS and the student (or an external organisation, such as the conference organisers).

Term 2 (UG)

  • Football table installed in the hub to help boost sense of community among students.
  • Staff are looking into the wording of the emails sent out to students missing lectures.
  • Set up a new committee – BSSC (Business School Student Chairs), to improve student voice, meeting at least once a term, with a Facebook group to hold topical discussions

Term 1

  • In response to the students’ willingness to have more opportunities to present their research, students-to-students collaboration was established with Durham University Business School

Previous Years

  • Filed Work funding is now available.
  • EU conferences will now be considered as home conferences.
  • A new module on data analysis for 1st year PhDs has been agreed and should be rolled out for the start of 2014/15.

Biomedical Sciences

  • New laptops are to be made available to students as a short-term relief to the IT shortages.
  • Lab D is now open as scheduled and the feedback from this is good. This has taken the pressure off lab facilities and it has been used for the CMB3001 final year module this term.

Dental Sciences

Term 2

  • Ensured a new policy for accessing medical records outside of previously allowed times. The new system has had a massive positive response from students, and it isn’t affecting the staff involved negatively.
  • EvaSys issues have been ironed out with regards to timing and lines of questioning
  • Positive discussions about shift of lecture/seminar balance and how that could positively affect both teaching and learning within the school
  • New furniture and facilities within the dental school common room
  • Action into securing more equipment on clinic – from instruments to cameras
  • A more monitored distribution of nurses across the clinics to increase the clinical activity seen by patients

Previous Years

  • New computer facilities specifically for Dental students have been made available in the Dental school allowing improved access to computers.
  • Unwanted Recap recordings of seminar rooms issue has been resolved. ReCap recording from seminars would not be uploaded unless approved by the academic lead of the session.
  • The PEC (Personal Extenuating Circumstances) form policy has been altered to make it more accessible and easier to understand by students.
  • Following concerns raised by students regarding being locked out of the Dental School and being unable to collect their belongings if a clinical session overruns, the time which the doors of the Dental School are locked has been altered to meet the needs of students.

Term 1

  • SSC has worked closely with the social committee to make sure events cater for everyone (not all based around alcohol or nights out) and to ensure that everyone has access to information on events.

Previous Years

  • Introduction of a ‘buddy’/ mentoring system within the institute. New students have been offered the option to be paired with another PGR student who has agreed to help mentor a new student into the institute and help them with any initial problems or questions they have. The ‘buddy’ is the go-to-person for the new student, should their supervisors or other lab staff not be available.

Term 2

  • Improvements in the structure of practical computer session for Genomic Medicine programme

Previous years

Term 1

  • With the fund available for prICM, a successful industrial visit to Leica was organised.
  • The first Inter-Institute charity Pub Quiz was successfully organised and raised £53.66 for AGEUK.
  • Staff and PGR Reps worked together to promote peer-led training workshops and video tutorials for laboratory and analysis techniques, as part of ‘open lab book’ intiative.
MBBS

Term 2

  • Exam material to be reviewed
  • Assignment guidance for Stage 1 to be screened by Stage 2 students

Previous years

  • Stage 1 and 2 students are now eligible for a travel bursary for patient visits.
MRES
  • The MRES School Rep organised the design and set-up of a video recording between staff and students that will be uploaded to the university website for prospective students.
  • Students were provided with information about which optional modules would best complement the compulsory programme module(s) to help students choose modules which match their interests.
  • Training will be provided for new students about how to use NESS, RAS and Blackboard in their induction as of 2014.
  • In-course assessments will now be held before Christmas.
  • There will be the same number of practice exam questions provided for each module as of next year.
  • Demonstrator training is now being provided to MRes/ PhD students in their MRes year to allow them to start demonstrating straight away in their PhD year.
  • Re-organisation of lectures in some core units
  • Under-utilised space is being repurposed and there should be an additional 4 seminar rooms on campus in the next academic year
  • A portion of the 2nd floor of the Learning Resource Centre is being fitted with study booths to accommodate more students in the library

Term 1

  • Following student feedback, school staff will be reviewing an overlap in content in stage 2 modules.
  • Changes have been made to the heating in the School of Psychology lecture theatres to ensure they’re much more comfortable for learning.

Previous years

  • The Psychology common room now has more computers and a printer.
  • ISS and estates have been informed about the lack of workspace that has been reported within the Faculty.
  • Module evaluation surveys are now open for longer to allow students to come back and fill them in at a convenient time for them.
  • Previously students did not understand the processes of moderation and scaling and the circumstances in which they are used. However, students have now been informed about the two processes and why they were used.
  • In some modules, some resources were not posted on BlackBoard. The Biology Taught School Rep, raised this issue with the Head of School and School Manager who then opened a dialog with academic staff.
  • The School Rep produced an ‘easy access’ document about graduation and sent it to all third year students in the School. The document contained all of the information from the University’s congregation pages, just in a user friendly format.
  • Deadline of a key Stage 3 assignment deemed to be too close to the January exam period has been changed following SSC consultation.
  • Greater clarity has been provided to staff around students’ level of training around certain essential software, which has led to amendments of assignment rubrics and a commitment from the school to improve the training provided for the software in question.
  • A new hand drying system in the 2nd floor toilets of the Bedson building.
  • The ENGAGE public chemistry demonstrations continued to prove to be a success.
  • An additional postgraduate social was organised in the form of a brewery tour for all PG students and staff, also functioning as a ‘welcome to the department’ event for three new staff members.
  • Difficulty of stage 2 inorganic lab assignment will be reviewed and marking criteria will be altered for 2016/17 academic year.

Term 1

PGR Sub-Committee agreed to change the email to students to invite them to provide comments/feedback to the Graduate School Administrator regarding their Annual Progression experience. The Graduate School Administrator will log comments for review by the Dean

  • Secured 24-hour access to the School’s computer cluster after substantial work within the SSC.
  • The SSC has become heavily involved in the planning of induction weeks, to ease the transition of future new students into the programme. New ideas for these induction events proposed by the student body have since been adopted by the School.
  • A microphone has been installed in the Isaac cluster.
  • CEG is to become a test school for the IT Skills resource that has been created in the Faculty of Medical Sciences but is looking to increase its scope across the University.
  • Course Reps created a poster with all the reps and their roles which is up permanently and we are planning where it could go to be more visible and improvements that could be made for next year as well as adding a PG rep poster.
  • Successful survey into communication between staff and students identified that emails were the preferred method of communication.
  • Began the process of getting water fountain installed in the common room with interim solution of drinks in the vending machine.
  • A Maths Aid Champion role has been introduced. The purpose of this role is to promote the services offered by Maths Aid to the students within the department and provide a link between the students and Maths Aid for feedback and suggestions.
  • Creation of a ‘yearbook’ style portfolio of all undergraduate opportunities, activities and achievements within the school to celebrate the positive activities within the school, rather than the SSC just being a problem-solution meeting.
  • Working group created to look at whether some modules can be revised or how they are delivered altered.

Term 2

  • Estate management has been contacted regarding the uncleaned white boards in the lecture theatres and they have agreed to look into this issue
  • IT department explained that the CAD PCs will be have different colour background in order to differentiate them

Previous Years

  • Extra printing credits for third year students that allows them to print around 200 extra pages for free.
  • The EEE Taught School Rep promoted the importance of the National Student Survey to final year UG students.
  • Due to campaigning by the Undergraduate School Rep in Electrical and Electronic Engineering there are now more demonstrators within laboratory sessions which have greatly improved the quality of the lab sessions.

Term 2

  • Discussion of gender balance at GSC meeting resulted in a male deputy postgraduate coordinator being assigned as the current coordinator and deputy are both female.
  • Postgraduate conference organised for June to give students the opportunity to present their research to fellow students and receive feedback. The conference has a focus on “What next: you and your research”, covering a range of issues that have been raised by students this term e.g. careers after the PhD, applying for fellowships, and promoting your research.

Term 2 (UG)

  • Arranged with head of school a presentation with all UG students about the effects and benefits of the new school structure.
  • Arranged visit for students to facilities in Blyth

Term 2 (PGT)

  • After raising concerns that some students had not been made aware of the identity of their personal tutor, students have received emails from the school office with details of their personal tutor and contact information
  • From issues raised regarding grades not being uploaded to NESS, the school office now ensures all grades are uploaded to NESS.

Term 1

  • Secured a fridge & microwave in the school common room
  •  
  • Improved access for students to PC clusters used for teaching, if room is not at capacity.

Previous Years

  • More computers in the Armstrong Marine Common Room.
  • New and improved timetable for next year with less teaching hours, balancing out school work with reading.

Previous Years

  • More computers in the Armstrong Marine Common Room.
  • New and improved timetable for next year with less teaching hours, balancing out school work with reading.

Term 2

  • Held a successful student engagement event, gathering lots of opinions and views, some of which were discussed in the SSC.
  • A student focus group was held to discuss the proposal of having block teaching for the Stage 4 MMath students. Staff and students agreed that this wouldn’t be suitable for the maths integrated masters, which was fed back to the faculty.
  • In recent exams, some papers have been printed in A5 booklets, which are difficult to read. The Chair of the Board of Examiners will consult colleagues with a view to implementing all papers being printed A4 size.

Term 1

  • Held a successful student engagement event to help gather a large amount of feedback to ensure as many of the students’ views reached the SSC as possible.

Previous Years

  • From the Student-Staff Committee (SSC) meeting there were a lot of complaints about a particular module, mas3112, this module will be totally rewritten for next year.
  • From the Union’s Education Executive Committee and the Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee meeting, we have managed to stress the importance of how necessary more work space is especially during exam periods. From this it was confirmed that more space will be organised.
  • It has been organised for next year that all course reps (in stage 1&2) introduce themselves in a lecture after the away day so everyone is knows who they are.

Term 2 (UG)

  • Arranged with head of school a presentation with all UG students about the effects and benefits of the new school structure.
  • Arranged visit for students to facilities in Blyth

Term 2 (PGT)

  • After raising concerns that some students had not been made aware of the identity of their personal tutor, students have received emails from the school office with details of their personal tutor and contact information
  • From issues raised regarding grades not being uploaded to NESS, the school office now ensures all grades are uploaded to NESS.

Term 1

  • Secured a fridge & microwave in the school common room
  •  
  • Improved access for students to PC clusters used for teaching, if room is not at capacity.

Previous Years

  • More computers in the Armstrong Marine Common Room.
  • New and improved timetable for next year with less teaching hours, balancing out school work with reading.

Previous Years

  • More computers in the Armstrong Marine Common Room.
  • New and improved timetable for next year with less teaching hours, balancing out school work with reading.

Term 2

  • Held a successful student engagement event, gathering lots of opinions and views, some of which were discussed in the SSC.
  • A student focus group was held to discuss the proposal of having block teaching for the Stage 4 MMath students. Staff and students agreed that this wouldn’t be suitable for the maths integrated masters, which was fed back to the faculty.
  • In recent exams, some papers have been printed in A5 booklets, which are difficult to read. The Chair of the Board of Examiners will consult colleagues with a view to implementing all papers being printed A4 size.

Term 1

  • Held a successful student engagement event to help gather a large amount of feedback to ensure as many of the students’ views reached the SSC as possible.

Previous Years

  • From the Student-Staff Committee (SSC) meeting there were a lot of complaints about a particular module, mas3112, this module will be totally rewritten for next year.
  • From the Union’s Education Executive Committee and the Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee meeting, we have managed to stress the importance of how necessary more work space is especially during exam periods. From this it was confirmed that more space will be organised.
  • It has been organised for next year that all course reps (in stage 1&2) introduce themselves in a lecture after the away day so everyone is knows who they are.

Term 2 (PGR)

  • Developing a criteria for space allocation for new PGRs

Term 2 (UG)

  • New bike rack installed
  • More colour coding between Engineering priority and University computers.

Term 1

  • Fluent Computer Assessment will be changed next year so that MSc and BEng/MEng students are not put in teams together.
  • LabView deadline has been pushed back by one day for all groups to alleviate the workload of several continuous deadlines.

Previous Years

  • Student Representation has continued to push the addition of an A4 colour printer in the Stephenson Tree Cluster with the ISS.
  • Additional bike rack space has been added outside the Stephenson Building at the request of the students which has been appreciated. It is hoped more will be done in additional to the extra rack but students feel progress on this issue.
  • Coursework submission dates on NESS are now available at the start of each term.
  • The Library has liaised with the staff and School Rep to provide a better referencing and endnote service. This has been an achievement as the School has provided a preferred referencing style and method for the students to follow unless otherwise stated by the lecturer setting the work piece.
  • ‘You Say We Did’ updates have been circulated around the school via email as well as on a poster on the Course Rep notice board. This has been a good way to communicate the work and achievements the Course Reps have been making.
  • 20 credit modules have been removed from the new stage 2 curriculum proposals, following concerns raised by students.
  • A LaTeX session has been provided for stage 3 students to enable the, to produce their Group Project reports in this typesetting language. Session requested by reps and was delivered in semester 1. The session will be run again in 2016/17.
  • Permission was granted to organise a women’s only meal out for female students across the School (UG, MSc and PhD). It was felt that this was a good idea as there are so few in numbers, so it would help the female students bond and feel comfortable within the course.
  • Students will get PPE for Lab work provided and don’t have to buy it themselves.