Representing your Academic Interests: NUSU's Big Academic Wins

When it comes to the decisions that affect your academic experience, NUSU is here to ensure the student voice is heard across the University. Over the years and based on your feedback, your NUSU Officers and Your Reps have secured University wide changes and influenced a number of big decisions.

 

You have improved access to the University if you are a disabled student

In 2016 NUSU'sPart-time Officers (PTOs) for Students with Disability founded the Disability and Neurodiversity Society, ensuring dedicated representation of disabled students. PTOs are continuing to work in partnership with the University to improve communication between Estates and disabled students regarding accessibility issues and provision.

 

You have 24 hour library access during term-time

As the result of NUSU lobbying over a number of years, the Robinson Library opened a 24 hour study space in 2012. In 2011, NUSU set the precedent for this level of provision by opening our own 24 hour computer cluster on the top floor of the NUSU building.

 

You can contact your Student Reps through the University's app

In 2017, the 'My School' section of the University app was updated to include a 'My Reps' function, which allows students to easily identify and contact their Course and School Rep. The app also allows students to participate in opinion polls conducted by their Student-Staff Committee. Former NUSU Education Officer, Matthew Price, first suggested this functionality back in 2015 and since then NUSU has worked in partnership with University IT to develop and launch this new feature.

 

You can access more lecture recordings through ReCap

Due to a strong student voice, through the academic student representation system and the efforts of NUSU Education Officers, the University changed its policy regarding ReCap usage from 'opt-in' to 'opt-out'. This change in policy led to a large increase to the number of lectures that were recapped as they would automatically be recorded unless the staff member requests that they are not.

 

You have saved more than £7,000 on food and drink at University libraries

Since the start of the 2017/18 academic year, NUSU have been working hard to improve affordability on campus. As part of this focus, NUSU President, Ronnie Reid, negotiated new £3 meal deal and expansion of swipee rewards and Eat@ Newcastle giveaways. So far this meal deal has saved students over £7,000, with this figure forecasted to rise to over £10,000 by the end of the academic year.

 

You have extended opening hours at the Urban Sciences Building

When the new Urban Sciences Building opened, students did not have the out-of-hours access they felt was promised to them. NUSU acted quickly, working with key University staff, to extend out-of-hours access until 11pm on weekdays and 9-6pm on weekends.

 

You have a microwave in the NUSU Hub

For a number of years, students have been asking for microwaves in University study spaces. Taking the initiative, NUSU have installed a microwave in the 24 hour hub on the top floor of the Students' Union building.

 

You will have a more inclusive PEC form process

Up until the 2017/18 academic year there had been no specific considerations for parents/carers in the PEC policy. This meant that students with caring responsibilities could have PEC forms rejected if they had to miss University to care for their dependent. Through the efforts of NUSU's Education, Welfare and Equality, and Student Parents, Guardians and Carers Officers, with the support of the University, the PEC Policy will be revised to include considerations for students with caring responsibilities.

 

You are not automatically deemed fit to take an exam if you sit it

In 2016, NUSU helped successfully oppose a proposal that the University should introduce a 'Fit to Sit' policy. The introduction of this policy would have meant that any student who sat an exam would have automatically been deemed 'fit' to take it. Therefore the student would have been ineligible to submit a Personal Extenuating Circumstances form after the exam if they subsequently felt that their performance was negatively affected by a severe health or personal issue.

 

 You will have free bus travel to St Mary's College

NUSU has secured funding of up to £34,000 so that from the start of the 2017/18 summer term, Newcastle University students will be able to access the 36 and 63 Stagecoach buses for free from Fenham Hall Drive to St Mary's College if they show their student card. This policy is scheduled to continue into 2018/19. 

 

You will now have 30 minute break times in the Library

Currently at the Library, students are given 15 minutes to return to their desk before their personal items are removed. However, after gathering and presenting a wide range of student opinion, including a Student Council motion, the University library team and NUIT have agreed to trial a 30 minute break time period during busy exam periods. You can find out more here.

 

For more information about what your NUSU officers have been up to this year, head to the officers pages and check out their updates. In addition to the NUSU officers, your academic student reps have been busy creating change within your Schools or Institutes. Find your School or Institute below and see what your reps have changed for you.

 

If you have a suggestion for improvements in the Union, the University or the local community then make sure you submit your idea through 'You Want It, We Got It'. We will then get investigating to see if we can help you make your Big Idea into a Big Win!

You Want It We Got It

 

Architecture , Planning and Landscape

2017/18

  • Worked with Estates to fix heating issues in the Urban Sciences Building.
  • Architecture SSC have created an anonymous mental health blog for students to post their experiences.
  • Secured more opportunities for Geography and Planning students to take design modules next year.
  • Made peer evaluation compulsory for Planning group work.
  • Reduced the teaching bookings in the Planning studio so it more available as a social space.
  • Suggestion boards erected in Architecture.
  • New coffee machine in Kofi Bar.
  • New kettle for the Planning social space.
  • Secured remarking for Stage 3 module following unusually low marks.
  • The Planning SSC made it easier to access peer evaluation forms for group work, and made it clear to staff that students would like more opportunity to use peer evaluation.
  • HASS has offered more Introduction to Learning and Teaching workshops.
  • Improved facilities at Urban Science Building studios, such as kitchen, door locks and heating.
  • The School seminar series is under new direction and the seminars have become more interesting, varied and have better attendance by staff.

Previous Years

  • An automatic lock down system was introduced to tackle space allocation problems.

2017/18

  • Communication of clarifications regarding the impact of industrial action on dissertation feedback.
  • Due to PG SSC deliberation, a proposal to move a hand-in deadline from 4pm to 12pm was dropped.
  • There were improvements in the Fine Art technical workshop, placements of daylight bulbs, electrical sockets and extensions.
  • Ensured that PGRs can retrospectively claim on conference expenses incurred during the summer when claim rules were changed.
  • Cleaned and reorganised the PG Office in the Music Studios.

Previous Years

  • A temporary common room for MA Art Museum and Gallery Studies was setup.
  • A working group was established to seek student input on improving online feedback.

Previous Years

  • New laptops are to be made available to students as a short-term relief to the IT shortages.
  • Lab D is now open as scheduled and the feedback from this is good. This has taken the pressure off lab facilities and it has been used for the CMB3001 final year module this term

2017/18

  • Hosted a CH Forum “Making the most of your CH Degree” to talk about employability and encourage students to meet their SSC representative.
  • Provided feedback for the VLE Survey currently in preparation.
  • Provided feedback to the ReCap working group.

Previous Years

  • Have achieved a consultation with students to assess whether CH students feel there is a discrepancy between marking criteria across modules and schools, and looked at data to see if this is truly the case. Once this data is analysed it will hopefully be used as a springboard to run a university-wide campaign next year.
  • Have met with the schools of History and Geography to discuss a proposed preference system of module selection to make the pre-registration process fairer and less stressful for all students.

2017/18

  • Git has been installed on library computers for student use.
  • Additional signage placed on quiet rooms
  • Secured more past papers and sample papers for UG students, as well as sample dissertations which achieved a First Class mark.
  • There were temporary solutions applied by the school to address the lack of 24-hour access
  • Scarecrow posters against thieves were placed on the building
  • Introduction of an online form whereby students can contact their Rep anonymously, which has led to an increase of interaction with students and their Reps
  • Creation of a wallpaper which is to be deployed across computers in the USB, stating the names of reps along with their role, and a link to the rep contact form.
  • Ensured student voice is heard as the University works on new employment policies that are friendlier to international students

Previous Years

  • PGR Sub-Committee agreed to change the email to students to invite them to provide comments/feedback to the Graduate School Administrator regarding their Annual Progression experience. The Graduate School Administrator will log comments for review by the Dean
  • Secured 24-hour access to the School’s computer cluster after substantial work within the SSC.
  • The SSC has become heavily involved in the planning of induction weeks, to ease the transition of future new students into the programme. New ideas for these induction events proposed by the student body have since been adopted by the School.

2017/18

  • Maximising student participation of the Dental Learning resource Centre (DLRC) – a computer space under-utilised previously be students. Discussions with staff have enabled covered drinks to be allowed in this space, which students had previously reported had prevented them from being able to use the space to study for extended periods.
  • Increased student participation in Board of Studies meetings.
  • Move to replace names on results lists with candidate numbers to maintain confidentiality for students receiving their results.

Previous Years

  • Ensured a new policy for accessing medical records outside of previously allowed times. The new system has had a massive positive response from students, and it isn’t affecting the staff involved negatively.
  • EvaSys issues have been ironed out with regards to timing and lines of questioning
  • New furniture and facilities within the common room
  • Action into securing more equipment on clinic – from instruments to cameras
  • A more monitored distribution of nurses across the clinics to increase the clinical activity seen by patients
  • New computer facilities specifically for Dental students have been made available in the Dental school allowing improved access to computers.
  • Unwanted Recap recordings of seminar rooms issue has been resolved. ReCap recording from seminars would not be uploaded unless approved by the academic lead of the session.
  • The PEC (Personal Extenuating Circumstances) form policy has been altered to make it more accessible and easier to understand by students.
  • Following concerns raised by students regarding being locked out of the Dental School and being unable to collect their belongings if a clinical session overruns, the time which the doors of the Dental School are locked has been altered to meet the needs of students.

Previous Years

  • Second year BA Education students have agreed with their lecturers that every lecture will be ReCapped and available on Blackboard for every student on our course to access, as well as lecture PowerPoints being added to Blackboard before each lecture to assist students with their note-taking.
  • Second year Education students have successfully set up the peer-mentoring scheme for the course, and have assisted the first year students through their first semester at Newcastle University – we hope to continue this scheme throughout the following years.
  • 2nd year BSc formative assignments are to be reconsidered with a possibility to return to the old assessment system where they would contribute to the clinical mark.
  • The print credit system has been explained to all students in a detailed email. Costs of each printer have been highlighted and it has been stated that the costs reflect school budget and amount of time spent on placement by each student group.
  • Successfully implemented a new feedback system that has been developed in consultation with students to alleviate concerns around assessment and feedback.

2017/18

  • A chilled water tap has been installed in the common room.
  • Drop in sessions have been organised by PGR administrators to help support students with their Annual Progress Review and/or viva.
  • Administrative staff have been made aware of sexism/unconscious discrimination occurring within the school and they are looking to deliver training for this to all students.
  • Because of constant work by reps over the past couple of years, once again PC availability has been increased, as has the number of PCs with specialist programmes such as AutoCAD.

Previous Years

  • Deadline of a key Stage 3 assignment deemed to be too close to the January exam period has been changed following SSC consultation.
  • Greater clarity has been provided to staff around students’ level of training around certain essential software, which has led to amendments of assignment rubrics and a commitment from the school to improve the training provided for the software in question.
  • A microphone has been installed in the Isaac cluster.
  • CEG is to become a test school for the IT Skills resource that has been created in the Faculty of Medical Sciences but is looking to increase its scope across the University.
  • Course Reps created a poster with all the reps and their roles which is up permanently and we are planning where it could go to be more visible and improvements that could be made for next year as well as adding a PG rep poster.
  • Successful survey into communication between staff and students identified that emails were the preferred method of communication.
  • Began the process of getting water fountain installed in the common room with interim solution of drinks in the vending machine.
  • A Maths Aid Champion role has been introduced. The purpose of this role is to promote the services offered by Maths Aid to the students within the department and provide a link between the students and Maths Aid for feedback and suggestions.
  • Creation of a ‘yearbook’ style portfolio of all undergraduate opportunities, activities and achievements within the school to celebrate the positive activities within the school, rather than the SSC just being a problem-solution meeting.
  • Working group created to look at whether some modules can be revised or how they are delivered altered.
  • Estate management has been contacted regarding the uncleaned white boards in the lecture theatres and they have agreed to look into this issue
  • IT department explained that the CAD PCs will be have different colour background in order to differentiate them
  • Extra printing credits for third year students that allows them to print around 200 extra pages for free.
  • The EEE Taught School Rep promoted the importance of the National Student Survey to final year UG students.
  • Due to campaigning by the Undergraduate School Rep in Electrical and Electronic Engineering there are now more demonstrators within laboratory sessions which have greatly improved the quality of the lab sessions.

2017/18

  • The SELLL conference Connections is being organized; staff have been very supportive and it was noted at the last SSC that staff are highly encouraged to take part.
  • There are plans underway to replace the printers in the PG basement with a new colour printer/photocopier.
  • A SELLL PHD-student mentoring program is being set up.
  • The school has agreed to turn heating on in the PG Suite on the weekends for the rest of the year until a more permanent solution (as it involves heating the whole building at the moment) can be sought out.
  • There will be PG Speaker Series this year and topic covers both literature and linguistics.
  • Produced a survey relating to Equality, Diversity & Inclusion to all students in the school, which received a 25% response rate. Although the response rate could have been greater, the survey has captured useful feedback which will inform concrete changes in Semester 2.

Previous Years

  • The student-led Equality and Diversity Committee has made a lot of progress and the group is continuing to collect more student surveys in order to understand students’ perception regarding curriculum diversity.
  • PG PC cluster has been refurbished with new computers being equipped, providing a superior learning atmosphere.
  • The exact architecture of the new student common room was decided on in one of the Student-Staff Committee meetings. There were around 10 different floor plans available, and the focus was on asking the students what our thoughts were.
  • The Undergraduate Student-Staff Committee ran a Coffee Morning every 2 weeks outside the common room. Free hot drinks and biscuits were provided by the School, staff and students mix (more than 50 people each week) and it has been a great platform to launch book exchanges and for SELLL societies to sell tickets for events e.g. Christmas Ball.
  • Student appointed to be the project leader of the school café. It is hoped that this will create more of a community feeling in the SELLL building.
  • UG SSC appointed a Course Rep to be project leader for SELLL online academic journal.
  • School Rep asked by Head of School to undertake research about SELLL students’ attitudes to assessment and feedback. School Rep will chair sub-committee where findings are investigated, with the aim of improving assessment and feedback provision.
  • Introduction of designated feedback afternoons, in which students can access their exam scripts and get feedback on them

2017/18

  • LSE access has been reinstated for intercalating Medics
  • Cross institute cooperation for the purchase and storage of new display boards

Previous Years

  • Student Reps were able to secure improvements in the structure of practical computer session for Genomic Medicine programme

 

2017/18

  • Edited attendance monitoring emails so they are more concise and more likely to be read by students.
  • QGIS has been installed on library computers.
  • All PGR students now access to colour printing.

Previous Years

  • Following student feedback, emails are now being sent as reminders for seminars featuring guest-speakers, and information to this effect has been added to Blackboard regarding modules.
  • Students expressed the desire to have staff office hours publicised more clearly, which has now been implemented. Extremely grateful feedback has since been received from the students.
  • Through working with other PGRs in Politics and the Head of Department, PGRs giving lectures as normal TAs and PGRs giving lectures as module leaders, will now be paid the same rate. This means TAs who aren’t module leaders will still be paid the same rate for the same type of work (at SLTSEC).
  • Worked with Combined Honours School Rep to ensure fair treatment of Combined Honours students taking Geography modules.
  • Continued interventions on the inadequacy of the HaSS Research Training programme for PGTs have now been fed through to the Internal Subject Reviews, and subsequently will be presented to a forthcoming Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee (FLTSEC) meeting. The Chair of the HaSS FLTSEC is now aware of the issue.
  • The University’s Quality in Learning and Teaching department (QuilT) will now consider whether students should have the right to delete information that has been recorded by the forthcoming e-portfolios system. This had not been considered before, and the officer from QuilT agreed to take this back and discuss it with his colleagues.
  • PGRs provided with access to the university online research repository. Open Access officer will allow students access to pre-prints of articles in the repository if PGRs contact him directly.
  • A PGR Teaching Assistant handbook will be produced following concerns raised by PGR reps.
  • Marking pay rates have been changed to ensure fairness for Teaching Assistants required to mark longer pieces of work and use Grademark software.
  • Staff responded to concerns raised by undergraduate Course Reps regarding the transition between specific first year and second year modules by agreeing to redesign the second year module in time for the 2015-16 academic year

2017/18

 

  • Introduced polls on the University app which have so far received more than 130 responses regarding reduction in contact hours, seminar lengths for third years, and support for a student-run history journal. Plan to present poll findings at next History SVC.
  • History Student Voice blog set up, which Course Reps can freely contribute to. Posts so far have included explanation of the polls, the potential reduction in contact hours, the strike action and the proposed student history journal.
  • Set up a Facebook groups for HCA Reps.
  • The Faculty policy on publishing during PhD study is to revisited to provide clearer guidance as to what is considered self-plagiarism for students and to avoid discouraging publishing by students
  • A clear policy in HCA has now been established to deal with MLitt students using different referencing styles for their research assignments and taught modules they might be taking. The outcome is that they should follow the standard guidance for each department their individual assessments fall under.

Previous Years

  • Following student requests for improved careers events, the school liaised directly with the SSC to devise improved careers events moving forward. These include; an alumni event & a careers workshop for all HCA students in semester two and a compulsory CV check for dissertation students.
  • Discussion with the Union’s Education Executive has resulted in improvements to the system with timetabling and the University’s I.T. department, which should allow for improvements to be made to access to the timetabling system at peak times.
  • Pushed for the creation of a PGT Forum in the Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee in order to facilitate discussion of PGT issues solely.
  • The PG reps have established a hot-desk system in the postgraduate room in the Armstrong building to make more efficient use of study space, as well as storage for student belongings.

2017/18:

  • Visit to the Clinical Research Facility was organised and circulated among ICM and through the reps, across the other Institutes.
  • Secured a committment from the Institute to purchse posterboards for local events.

Previous Years

  • With the fund available for prICM, a successful industrial visit to Leica was organised.
  • The first Inter-Institute charity Pub Quiz was successfully organised and raised £53.66 for AGEUK.
  • Staff and PGR Reps worked together to promote peer-led training workshops and video tutorials for laboratory and analysis techniques, as part of ‘open lab book’ intiative.

2017/18

  • Received assurances that MyImpact will be introduced by April.
  • Better communication with students via the newly designed Rep section in the Newsletter of ICM, where we advertise events/actions and we ask for feedback
  • Establishment of PGR Q&A sessions to support students in getting the right answers to questions
  • Requested and already discussed details of an upcoming Clinical Research Facility visit in the RVI for ICM students around March.

Previous Years

  • Exam material reviewed
  • Assignment guidance for Stage 1 to be screened by Stage 2 students
  • Stage 1 and 2 students are now eligible for a travel bursary for patient visits.

2017/18

  • The SSC hosted the Away Day on 19/01/2018, feedback has been incredibly positive and students appear keen that they continue. Also received positive feedback from Prof John Kirby (Dean of Postgraduate Studies) and other Institute staff representatives at the GSC March meeting. The Head of Institute has agreed that the institute will continue supporting these events into the future.
  • A major issue raised in past GSC pre-meets has been the FMS purchase of new poster boards so that students have access to free/cheap rental poster boards, on site, for student led events. These have now been purchased through the ICM with the help of all school reps across the FMS.

Previous Years

  • SSC has worked closely with the social committee to make sure events cater for everyone (not all based around alcohol or nights out) and to ensure that everyone has access to information on events.
  • Introduction of a ‘buddy’/ mentoring system within the institute. New students have been offered the option to be paired with another PGR student who has agreed to help mentor a new student into the institute and help them with any initial problems or questions they have. The ‘buddy’ is the go-to-person for the new student, should their supervisors or other lab staff not be available.

2017/18

  • MyImpact has been rolled out across IHS for all students

Previous Years

  • Discussion of gender balance at GSC meeting resulted in a male deputy postgraduate coordinator being assigned as the current coordinator and deputy are both female.
  • Postgraduate conference organised for June to give students the opportunity to present their research to fellow students and receive feedback. The conference has a focus on “What next: you and your research”, covering a range of issues that have been raised by students this term e.g. careers after the PhD, applying for fellowships, and promoting your research.

2017/18

  • Arranged two successful social events for students from IoN campuses were able to join and mingle.
  • Confirmed assurance that MyImpact pages for PhD students will be ready for Spring.

Previous Years

  • By working closely with school staff, the Thesis word count of 80,000 words will now exclude footnotes and referencing, where before these were included.

2017/18

  • After changes to rates of pay for PGRs who teach with little detail and not prior notification, Reps have negotiated a review of pay rates for various tasks over the previous three years to be shared with all PGRs so they can compare and have transparency and accountability for ongoing changes in rates of pay.
  • Collaborated with PGR Director on a report to the School on creating an inclusive research environment to encourage cooperation and awareness between PGRs and staff. These discussions have contributed to inclusion on staff away days, paper bag lunches, and consideration of PGR research profiles on staff pages, and a role for the Research Coordinator to discuss research groups and opportunities for us in the university.
  • Have had four kinds of recycling bins added to the PGR room to replace the one generic waste bin, and had old materials cleared from the room which had been left after installation of new furniture

Previous Years

  • PGR study room will be cleaned up and room will be used as quiet study area
  • The exam board will now provide the Law School with more paper during exams.
  • A University wide audit took place regarding postgraduate teaching opportunities following concerns raised by the Law PGR School Rep in 2014/15, something which will, potentially, have a positive impact on PGRs across the University.
  • Lectures devoted time to providing group feedback on mid-sessional exams, publicising the availability of exam feedback more widely, and undertaking a staff peer review of assessment and feedback by in the department

2017/18

  • Following promises at previous SSCs, there is now a Teaching and Learning Committee for Philosophy.
  • Secured clarification on use of online sources for referencing and email etiquette between students and staff.
  • Worked with the department to secure an £15 extra printer credits for Stage 2 and 3 in recognition of the printing demands of a long project.
  • The department have produced a ReCap policy to address student queries.

Previous Years

  • Several lecturers have started providing summaries of their lectures as a substitute for PowerPoint/ReCap
  • New programme of Careers talks organised on the back of student feedback
  • School Rep thread added to Philosophical Studies blog, providing a platform for School Rep to let students know what they have been doing.

Mathematics , Statistics and Physics 

2017/18

  • Some deadlines in Semester 2 have been extended to reduce the number of deadlines in one day.
  • Introduced an informal questionnaire at around week 2 to try and make up for the lack of responses in the evasys questionnaires.  The overall opinion from lectures and students was positive.   
  • The school is considering organising a Maths/Physics specific careers fair as a result of student feedback for more specific careers advice.
  • Begun a monthly social gathering for PG students.
  • Published a list of exams which allow/do not allow calculators following confusion in January.

Previous Years

  • Held a successful student engagement event, gathering lots of opinions and views, some of which were discussed in the SSC.
  • A student focus group was held to discuss the proposal of having block teaching for the Stage 4 MMath students. Staff and students agreed that this wouldn’t be suitable for the maths integrated masters, which was fed back to the faculty.
  • In recent exams, some papers have been printed in A5 booklets, which are difficult to read. The Chair of the Board of Examiners will consult colleagues with a view to implementing all papers being printed A4 size.
  • Held a successful student engagement event to help gather a large amount of feedback to ensure as many of the students’ views reached the SSC as possible.
  • From the Student-Staff Committee (SSC) meeting there were a lot of complaints about a particular module, mas3112, this module will be totally rewritten.
  • From the Union’s Education Executive Committee and the Faculty Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee meeting, we have managed to stress the importance of how necessary more work space is especially during exam periods. From this it was confirmed that more space will be organised.
  • It has been organised for next year that all Course Reps (in stage 1&2) introduce themselves in a lecture after the away day so everyone is knows who they are.

2017/18

  • Ensured that student reps will be involved in the planning for any changes to the common room but also for the ground floor student area in the development of new sports centre extension.
  • Opened discussion about current travel bursaries and the base units. Discussion about encouraging students to live in base units.
  • Gained assurances that students will be allowed toilet breaks between back-to-back 90 minute exams in future years.
  • Started to arrange a series of videos done by students in each base unit for students to accurately understand them

2017/18

  • Portuguese Level 4 module was restructured to better balance its workload.
  • A series of changes were made to module content, online resources, seminars and communications to tackle perceived disparities between various Level C language modules.
  • Gained assurances fromt he Head of School to investigate issues around Translation and Interpreting fee structure for students who changed pathway following student concerns.
  • Module leaders have produced a list of improvements to module content and delivery for 2018/19 based on student feedback.
  • Following SSC discussion, the School is considering a reading week for students to consolidate their work.
  • More classes in the Learning Resource Centre have been added for students.

Previous Years

  • New feedback sheet to standardise feedback across different languages
  • Focus groups to be used to support the SSC in gauging student opinion
  • Upon PGRs’ request raised in the SSC in Semester 1, a coat rack has been installed in the study room. Also, the School has directed the budget for replacing all computer chairs in the PGR study room to the Faculty for approval.
  • School Research Seminar, the PGR School Rep proposed to have current PGRs more engaged. The Head of School has agreed to take this into consideration when planning for next year’s seminars and invite more stage 2 and/or stage 3 PGRs to contribute research paper. The Head of School also warmly encouraged PGRs to think about presenting paper in next year’s seminars
  • Issues around the delivery of a module were resolved through collaboration between the students and staff, facilitate directly through the SSC.
  • PGR student reps have helped form a PGR Teachers Forum in the School, which provides the opportunity for PGRs to raise and address teaching related issues directly with Head of the School and other relevant members of staff. The Forum runs twice a year.
  • A high National Student Survey response rate was achieved following a cheese and wine event for final year students.
  • Following suggestion from reps, staff provided a workshop giving advice and techniques on how to write an effective application for Northern Bridge studentships.
  • A room will be provided for PGRs who teach to meet with students privately rather than in communal areas.

2017/18

  • The logout period for LibSearch has been extended.
  • The PGR handbook as well as other admin information is now uploaded on Blackboard. The PGR Admin team is aiming to use this as a portal one-stop for all resources and information in order to reduce confusion amongst PGRs and time answering the same questions.
  • A compromise is being developed if a research summary page isn’t constructed. This may be a PGR Digital Representative in order to promote work PGRs are doing.
 

Previous Years

  • Planning a new Postgraduate careers conference to take place on an annual basis.
  • Made key resources that are heavily demanded more easily available to students (specifically, statistics and economics text books for Stage 1 are now avaialble as e-books on a shorter loan period).
  • A research away day event was carried out for all new and continuing students. The day proved to be a real success as it gave students a fantastic opportunity to bond, but also to visit Cockle park, one of the Unviersity farms and understand some of the research opportunities within the faculty.
  • Arranged with head of school a presentation with all UG students about the effects and benefits of the new school structure.
  • Arranged visit for students to facilities in Blyth
  • After raising concerns that some students had not been made aware of the identity of their personal tutor, students have received emails from the school office with details of their personal tutor and contact information
  • From issues raised regarding grades not being uploaded to NESS, the school office now ensures all grades are uploaded to NESS.
  • Secured a fridge & microwave in the school common room
  • Improved access for students to PC clusters used for teaching, if room is not at capacity.
  • More computers were secured for the Armstrong Marine Common Room.
  • New and improved timetable for next year with less teaching hours, balancing out school work with reading.
  • A new hand drying system in the 2nd floor toilets of the Bedson building.
  • The ENGAGE public chemistry demonstrations continued to prove to be a success.
  • An additional postgraduate social was organised in the form of a brewery tour for all PG students and staff, also functioning as a ‘welcome to the department’ event for three new staff members.
  • Difficulty of stage 2 inorganic lab assignment will be reviewed and marking criteria will be altered for 2016/17 academic year.
  • A new hand drying system in the 2nd floor toilets of the Bedson building.
  • The ENGAGE public chemistry demonstrations continued to prove to be a success.
  • An additional postgraduate social was organised in the form of a brewery tour for all PG students and staff, also functioning as a ‘welcome to the department’ event for three new staff members.
  • Difficulty of stage 2 inorganic lab assignment will be reviewed and marking criteria will be altered for 2016/17 academic year

Previous Years

  • Organised and ran the 3rd Annual NICR Cancer conference for institutes within the FMS
  • Organised ‘Young Researcher Forum’ session timetable to allow research students to speak with external guest speakers of the NICR regarding science and careers – next session to take place 10th April

    2017/18

  • Hosting a course forum within MSc Operations, Logistics, & Supply Chain Management has helped raise staff awareness of a number of major issues, which should be rectified by next year.
  • PGR students will now be able to have their own profile on the school website.
  • Module leaders will provide mentoring on PGR students who teach as part of a constructive feedback.
  • PGRs are now eligible to apply for workshop and training funding up to £400.
  • Planned a Chinese New Year celebration to celebrate diversity within the Business School.
  • International Business Management students received assurances from staff that in future years more personalised feedback for assignments attached to the year abroad modules will be provided.

   Previous Years

  • NUBS hosted the first NUBS/DUBS (Durham University) event to promote PhD students collaboration. The event included networking and research presentations by both NUBS and DUBS students.
  • Certificate in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice Director increased the number of cohorts per year for International English Language Testing System (IELTS) training>
  • The conference funding policy for PhD students within NUBS was changed to allow for more flexibility for the PhD students to attend conferences to which their papers have been accepted, and will allow for co-funding of conference attendance by NUBS and the student (or an external organisation, such as the conference organisers).
  • Football table installed in the hub to help boost sense of community among students.
  • Set up a new committee – BSSC (Business School Student Chairs), to improve student voice, meeting at least once a term, with a Facebook group to hold topical discussions
  • Field Work funding is now available.
  • EU conferences will now be considered as home conferences.
  • A new module on data analysis for 1st year PhDs was agreed and rolled out for 2014/15.

2017/18

  • Newcastle Research & Innovation Institute (NewRIIS) was opened on 1st December for the PGRs to have a place to work on their research. This institution serve as a place for the PGRs to carry out their research work and allow more interaction with one another which is a good improvement.

2017/18

  • Following student complaints, the layout of the library was restructured.
  • Better access to reading lists for modules.
  • The second semester timetable for International Business Management was adjusted to ensure that students had a day off.
  • A Python class was offered to NUL students, with further coding classes scheduled for 2018/19.
  • Quicker access to lecturers' full presentation slides.

Previous Years

  • Re-organisation of lectures in some core units
  • Under-utilised space is being repurposed and there should be an additional 4 seminar rooms on campus in the next academic year
  • A portion of the 2nd floor of the Learning Resource Centre is being fitted with study booths to accommodate more students in the library

2017/18

  • The PGR room and study room in KGVI have both been made available for UG students to use.
  • Clocks have been installed in the labs.
  • Gained assurances that quality control measures would be put in place regarding the new, shorter word count for Stage 3 coursework.
  • Ran a sucessful feedback capaign, gathering 99 individual comments. These comments were summarised and reported back to the school.

    One of the main topics included an agreement from the Head of School that placements are often far away and expensive to travel to, which it was proposed may be addressed by taking advantage of the nearby RVI; hosting more placements there in the future.

  • The School is exploring a traffic light system to advise students on how they perform on questions relating to each discipline and will be followed up in Term 2.
  • Temporary access to PG PC Cluster has been granted to undergraduates as a short term solution to lack of UG study space.

2017/18

  • Successfully convinced the Head of Psychology to look into the renewal and potentially refurbishment of the Common Room

Previous years

  • Following student feedback, school staff will be reviewing an overlap in content in stage 2 modules.
  • Changes have been made to the heating in the School of Psychology lecture theatres to ensure they’re much more comfortable for learning.
  • The Psychology common room now has more computers and a printer.
  • ISS and estates have been informed about the lack of workspace that has been reported within the Faculty.