Applications for the 2018/19 School Rep positions are currently closed
Thank you to everyone who applied to be a 2018/19 School Rep. If you have applied, we will be in touch shortly to let you know the next steps for your application.
For any School Rep positions where we have not received any applications, we will re-open applications in the coming weeks. If you would like to be notified when applications re-open, please email email@example.com.
The School Rep role
The School Rep role is based around attending and representing the views of you School’s students at the senior faculty meeting for the student experience. You also get to work closely with your Head of School and other School Reps from across the University. On average the role takes less than one hour a week.
Comments from previous School Reps include:
- “I am frequently asked and able to provide student views on many issues which academic staff find very beneficial”
- “It has been amazing to co-ordinate meetings and getting to know the student reps in my course. I feel I have become more confident in chairing meetings as well.”
- “the best thing about being a School Rep has been making positive change happen and meeting so many new people!”
As a School Rep you would also play a crucial role in helping the Students’ Union, and in particular the Education Officer, with their commitment to support and represent students in their academic lives. Plus you would be given opportunities to develop your skills & knowledge and you would receive £200 worth of vouchers over the year.
Click here for a full role description and click here for a copy of the School Rep handbook.
We have closed applications for the firs round of recruitment for 2018/19. We will confirm which positions remain available in the coming weeks.
You must only apply for a School Rep role in the academic unit you will you be studying in during 2018/19. Plus you may only apply for the level that you will be studying at during 2018/19. For example:
- If you are currently an Undergraduate student, who is going to continue as an Undergraduate student in 2018/19, you would apply to be the Undergraduate (UG) School Rep.
- If you are currently an UG student, who is going to be a Postgraduate Taught (PGT) student in 2018/19, you would apply to be a PGT School Rep
- If you are currently a UG or PGT student, who is going to become a Postgraduate Research (PGR)student in 2018/19, you would apply to be a Research School Rep.
- If you are currently a PGR student, who is going to continue as a PGR student in 2018/19, you would apply to be a Research School Rep
You can apply as a job share. However, both members of the job share must be in the same School and at the same level of study.
We are particularly keen for students with the following experience, skills and personal traits to apply to become a School Rep:
- Currently or have previously have been a Course Rep (desirable but not essential)
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Organisational skills
When we re-open applications we will confirm how to apply for one of the remaining vacant positions.
Tier 4 Visa Students
Due to the nature of the School Rep position and the way it is rewarded, the role may be classed as Voluntary Work. Therefore, if you are a Tier 4 Visa holder and were to become a School Rep, you may want to log your hours.